Preferred Meat Rabbit Dispatch Method

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
(I know it says Meat "bird" but I know some people couldn't eat a rabbit, so I figured it would be "safe" here)

What is your preferred method for dispatching your meat rabbits?

I've read about the rabbit punch method of dislocating the spine, hubby is fairly unsure about that method. I don't blame him. We love our animals and hate to do something improperly and cause them pain. Hubby says when the time comes, he'll probably use the chop method that we use for the birds.

Is this method acceptable for rabbits?

Last edited:
I'd google it also..to get different ideas.. because you want it to be quick and as pain free as possible.
"fastest rabbit dispatch methhod" or something like that..
I want to try rabbit. ( i really do!) I just cant get past their cuteness...
roll.png

Last edited:
Theres a video on youtube,he has a unsharpened hook shaped thing attached to the side of a wall.you put the rabbits head in the curve of the hook and pull,it breaks the spinalcord very efficiently with no pain or suffering.

Hold the rabbit by it's hind legs, it will then hold it's head out to the side to present the area to hit. then hold the hammer by the hammer head and stike the back of the head/neck with a sharp blow using the hammer handle. It will insantly kill the rabbit, hang by hind legs,then cut both jugular veins to bleed out.

I'm like you. Even though lots of my animals are raised for food, I love them, want them to be happy and healthy, and never want them to suffer when the time comes.

We shoot rabbits in the head with a pistol. It has worked 100% successfully so far
smile.png

Let me see if I can describe the method I used.
Grab rabbit with left hand across the back bone just forward of the back legs, fingers under the belly, thumb aligned with the spine. With right hand place fingers under chin and neck, lay your thumb behind his head right at the joint of the first vetebrae. Then with a sudden snatching action pull the head back while stretching the rabbit between both hands. This breaks their neck severing the spinal cord. No bruising, no worry about missing or glancing blow to the back of the head. Death is instant.
No way would I use a fire arm. When more than 1 is slaughtered the noise of the weapon will agitate the remaining rabbits. Bullets are not free and can go places unintended.
When I first started killing tame rabbits I used the hammer handle method. However every now and then a short swing, sudden jerk by the rabbit would end up with a glancing blow. Then you have a injured screaming rabbit in your hands, best I can say about that is NOT GOOD!

Quote:
I'm not a fan of firearms to do the job either- why would I want to introduce lead into the animal I just spent all that time raising to be chemical free? Then add the range of a .22 bullet- too many potential problems.

Back
Top Bottom