Pregnancy and owning chickens

Chickmamajessica

Songster
Aug 1, 2021
Hello everyone,

I just found out I’m pregnant and am new to owning chickens. I am aware of avian flu and other diseases that chickens can spread while their human owners are pregnant. My question is as follows: did if you were pregnant did you take any special precautions around your chickens? Looking for input! Thanks

This has been asked often over the years here. It's really very simple. Pregnant people, as well as any chicken keeper and their families, should make it a habit to wash hands thoroughly after each time they handle the chickens or do chores in and around the chicken run and coop. Disease is almost always passed from chickens to humans by failing to wash hands and then eating something with those dirty hands.

If you know you have avian flu in your area, then you will want to take precautions not to breathe in dander and dust. Otherwise, simple religious hand washing will suffice to keep you and your family safe.

Hello everyone,

I just found out I’m pregnant and am new to owning chickens. I am aware of avian flu and other diseases that chickens can spread while their human owners are pregnant. My question is as follows: did if you were pregnant did you take any special precautions around your chickens? Looking for input! Thanks
I have never been pregnant, but, this is what I do in general. I have gotten stomach flu before and have been more strict about this.

1.) Wash my hands after visits to the chickens, before a meal/snack, and after touching eggs.
2.) Rarely hug chickens, I would not at all in your case.
3.) NEVER have mouth to mouth contact with chickens! (not sure why anyone would).
4.) Change clothes when hugging chickens.
5.) Wear a mask in the coop

Tip: Any chance your husband could clean the coop for you?

Do you have cockerels? roosters? If so, I would stay away from them. They can get quite hormonal even when still young.

This has been asked often over the years here. It's really very simple. Pregnant people, as well as any chicken keeper and their families, should make it a habit to wash hands thoroughly after each time they handle the chickens or do chores in and around the chicken run and coop. Disease is almost always passed from chickens to humans by failing to wash hands and then eating something with those dirty hands.

If you know you have avian flu in your area, then you will want to take precautions not to breathe in dander and dust. Otherwise, simple religious hand washing will suffice to keep you and your family safe.
Thank you so much!

Hello everyone,

I've never been pregnant before, but I think that just taking extra care around your birds while also taking very good care of yourself should be okay. Don't spend too much time breathing in poultry dust, wash your hands after going out to the birds -- regardless of whether or not you actually touched them -- keep them away from your face and any open wounds such as scratches and cuts, etc..
Congratulations, by the way! May you be blessed with a healthy pregnancy and a healthy little bundle of joy! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom