pregnant doe-im a first timer-i need help!!

Thank you all so much. I own that book so i will check out the condition. AND get her to a vet ASAP!

I'm going with a congested teat...and a suggestion that you go to the vet.

It may be mastitis, but I'm leaning against that because that usually results in either a red fevered teat (bacterial) or a cold black udder (gangrene). In the pics the color doesn't look too bad and you said there was no fever...so I'm picking congestion.

Sounds like someone pawned off a problem on you.

Bob

yes a definite problem! but this diary goat, Frenchie, is such a sweet heart (and the only dairy goat we have) that were going to try our best to get her healthy and her kids (if shes preg.) healthy too! All of your advice and input will and has helped!

We have an appt. with the doc this Thursday so ill let you know how everything goes! And what the diagnosis is!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Took 'Frenchie' to the vet today!

Doc said she has mastitis in the big teat. He milked the fluid out, which i have to continue to do once a week. and he gave her a shot, it is a slow releasing treatment. And also gave us antibiotics to give her orally.

He said that she is pregnant! and may be able to nurse out of the one good teat. So we should probably get some colostrum to be safe!

That is great! I feel better for her and you. Isn't it a relief to know what is going on? Let us know when she has her baby or babies
smile.png

I used to have a Nubian goat that had mastitis and lost her udder after the treatments were done. I had to milk her out three times a day to get rid of the poison and force fed her water and mashed oats. The vet progosis was guarded or poor and was doubtful if she would live by the next morning. Well with much coaxing, crying and pushing her to do the things I forced on her, she made it but was a long struggle. After she cleared up, her udder strunk up and dried up like a flat pancake that the vet made a complete removal on her one udder and the other udder was fine and doubled up on the milk. So she nearly puts out a good quart out on her udder and sometimes more.

The pictures of the swollen udder looks like so much like my goat.....nasty smelling to milk out but its for her own good. I never bred her again after that and we had a hard time drying her up and it was two years after she had her kid, she was still in milking production until I had to give her a good home due to college. I loved that goat and boy, what a teacher she was.

Good thing you got her the care she needed so things are looking up for you and the goat!

Two words of caution...and this is NOT knocking your vet, but goats are VERY different than other livestock, and most vets don't really know much about them.

On milking the teat with mastitis...there is no way I'd do it once a week or even once a day. What you are getting when you milk a mastitis infected udder is PUS, and I would be getting that pus out through milking at least twice daily.

Second, on the medication schedule...goats have a VERY fast metabolism, and meds must be given at a much faster rate than for other animals to be effective.

Bob

I went out to the barn yesterday afternoon and guess what was in the stall with my dairy goat!?!?!? a precious female kid!!!! Who knew it would be so quick!!!

DSCF1692.jpg

DSCF1691.jpg

DSCF1690.jpg

DSCF1693.jpg

DSCF1694.jpg

Im the happiest mommy ever:D
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
lol.png
lol.png