Premature duckling

Lizram555

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2020
Hi my duckling half hatched yesterday on day 31 . It wasn't making much progress so I looked it the bottom of the shell to find it hadn't absorbed the yolk sac. It's really week still moving but not standing or walking. It's been 20hrs since hatched. It's still got the yolk and not much improvement apart from its fluffed up more now with it being kept warm. I read to put it in a cloth in a tea cup in the incubator. It seems ok in there but I'm just wondering the odds for it surviving? It's the only egg that hatched and it's my first time. It's been horrible experience because I got to attached I think to my babies. Any help please.thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200601-125523_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20200601-125523_WhatsApp.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 56
Hi there, welcome to BYC, sorry you're having problems with your duckling. :hugs These ducklings that hatch late like this with the yolk still exposed can be very hard to save. What temp and humidity is your incubator at right now?

Hi there, welcome to BYC, sorry you're having problems with your duckling. :hugs These ducklings that hatch late like this with the yolk still exposed can be very hard to save. What temp and humidity is your incubator at right now?

Its 37.8 humidity 60. The yolk sac is drying up throughout the day but not much change with it moving .

I was wondering if it has any chance at all. Should I try it with a little water or just leave it well alone?

It's not completely absorbed but definitely getting smaller. It can't lift its head very well. Its wobbly. Thankyou for your help. I dont think I can do this again it's to heart breaking we wanted the ducks for eggs but mainly pets. Shall I try sugar water? Have you ever had any come through this? I tried to post a video but it wont work

You have to put your video on you tube or Vimeo then copy an paste here. I had one hatch close to 2 weeks ago with yolk not fully absorbed it is out running around with its mama and sibling. So it has a chance. If you want to try some warm water with sugar I’d just dribble along the bill though don’t force it to drink. Poultry Nutri drench is what a lot of us use.

Back
Top Bottom