Premier-1 Poultry Fencing - WARNING

Pics
Warning: electricity does not 100% prevent birds from getting caught.
True. Very few things in life are 100% absolutely sure. There is a reason for the saying "Never say never". To me it is about the odds. How often is electric netting or electric fencing (if installed and maintained correctly) going to cause harm to a chicken? How often is it going to stop a predator? Personally I'll take those odds.

True. Very few things in life are 100% absolutely sure. There is a reason for the saying "Never say never". To me it is about the odds. How often is electric netting or electric fencing (if installed and maintained correctly) going to cause harm to a chicken? How often is it going to stop a predator? Personally I'll take those odds.
Exactly. I’ve lost the same amount of birds to a predator. Those three I lost in one night. It is still your best odds.

Yes, this is true.

But if you're diligent about keeping the netting stretched TIGHT -- adding additional posts where necessary (perhaps due to uneven ground) -- it very much reduces the chance of them getting caught. They bounce off tight netting rather than getting entangled.
Not correct. See what happens when a flock gets frighted by a dog. No matter how tight you have it when they run at it multiple times in a panic one will get through enough to get stuck. It is typically a smaller one. Don’t fool yoursel. Keep it tight of course. It keeps predators out better and keeps the fence from shorting. Full size, full grown birds are probably not going to be an issue. It is still a great product, but there is no replacement for keeping a close eye on the birds.

Not correct. See what happens when a flock gets frighted by a dog. No matter how tight you have it when they run at it multiple times in a panic one will get through enough to get stuck. It is typically a smaller one. Don’t fool yoursel. Keep it tight of course. It keeps predators out better and keeps the fence from shorting. Full size, full grown birds are probably not going to be an issue. It is still a great product, but there is no replacement for keeping a close eye on the birds.

If there is a dog threatening them I DEFINITELY want good, strong electric around them.

I've had dogs go to get my birds in their electric fence. The dog got shocked, my chickens ran into their coop. 🤷‍♀️ The only time I've ever, and I mean *ever* had any chicken go through the wires and get stuck was at first set up and they didn't understand. Baby chicks up until 10 weeks can squeeze through and not get caught.

Thanks for your response.

Does the electricity prevent the chickens from getting close to the netting?

I do the same exact thing in my run! Works perfectly for me :).
Can you explain this inner plastic thing a ma bob for me?

Back
Top Bottom