Prepaing for first molt

jdoane

Songster
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Western Massachusetts
My hens are just over a year and I expect we'll be doing our first big molt this fall. I had a few questions I'm hoping the more experienced folks can answer

1. I know an increase of protein can help. Is it useful to start that before I notice the feathers coming off?
2. What is the best way to increase the protein? (Calf Manna? High protein treats?)
3. Do I need to worry about them picking at each other while trying to grow new feathers (like I would if someone was injured?)
4. If yes on 3 what do you do about that?

And a side question. I have a Barred Rock hen who has lost feathers on both her shoulders - started around beginning of summer . Looks a little like pictures I have seen of rooster damage but I don't have a rooster! I never see anyone pecking at her and I have checked for mites (didn't find any but treated anyway). Otherwise she seems fine. Good red comb, eating and laying well. Active. My other 4 are fine except for bare bellies on my two that tend to go broody. Any thoughts?

My hens are just over a year and I expect we'll be doing our first big molt this fall. I had a few questions I'm hoping the more experienced folks can answer

1. I know an increase of protein can help. Is it useful to start that before I notice the feathers coming off? No, I wouldn't begin increasing their protein until you notice that they are actively molting. Much of the protein will probably go to waste, since they won't be growing any new feathers (which are the things that require protein) until they actually start molting.

2. What is the best way to increase the protein? (Calf Manna? High protein treats?) An excellent way to increase their protein is to switch of a high protein feed, like game bird grower feed. However, simply giving high protein treats will help, too. Scrambled eggs, mealworms, wet/dry cat food, and Calf Manna are all great protein supplements.

3. Do I need to worry about them picking at each other while trying to grow new feathers (like I would if someone was injured?) Feather picking problems can become more severe when birds are molting, since the protein-packed, blood filled feathers are apparently quite tasty to other chickens. As long as you provide you hens with extra protein and make sure they have enough space, though, they should be fine. I myself have never had feather picking problems during molting.

And a side question. I have a Barred Rock hen who has lost feathers on both her shoulders - started around beginning of summer . Looks a little like pictures I have seen of rooster damage but I don't have a rooster! I never see anyone pecking at her and I have checked for mites (didn't find any but treated anyway). Otherwise she seems fine. Good red comb, eating and laying well. Active. My other 4 are fine except for bare bellies on my two that tend to go broody. Any thoughts? If she doesn't have mites, and isn't getting picked on, then the only other things I can think of is that she needs more protein in her diet or is rubbing the feathers off on something. The problem may resolve itself when she molts. I would be sure to check around your coop for any sharp/scratchy objects that she might rub against regularly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom