Preparing for 100+ degrees

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
EDIT: Shade and Water are covered!

Saturday, Sunday, and Monday are expected to be up in the 100s so I want to prepare our flock for it.
Let me know what else I could add to keep them cool.

The reason I'm preparing this now:
-I work Sunday and Monday. Nobody else keeps an eye on the flock so I need to prepare stuff so that they'll be fine while I'm at work. I work afternoons/evenings so it probably won't matter much as the temps start to go down but I like to prepare things just in case.

What we have:
-Two large apple trees for shade (they use daily)
-One 5 gallon waterer
-One rectangle-shaped black tub container (for the ducks/fits 2 adult runners max)(Early mornings I throw a ice cubes in before they're let out)
-6-7 scattered water "bowls" throughout the yard

I'm about to head out after posting this so please understand that my replies may be a little late. I'm buying the flock some berries as the store is having a discount on some. Don't worry, I do wash them before I use them.

Last edited:
As a previous poster mentioned, access to dirt / sand that is moist, not wet or muddy. One thing I notice my birds do other than seeking shade or a drink now and again is that they dig a little crater around them in garden soil that is moist and flatten the breasts on it to cool off and within minutes they aren't panting anymore. Currently it's ranging from 91-115 deg F throughout each day.

As a previous poster mentioned, access to dirt / sand that is moist, not wet or muddy. One thing I notice my birds do other than seeking shade or a drink now and again is that they dig a little crater around them in garden soil that is moist and flatten the breasts on it to cool off and within minutes they aren't panting anymore. Currently it's ranging from 91-115 deg F throughout each day.

Mine will dig down to the level of their backs in my sandy soil -- probably seeking a damp layer under the dryness.

Going to repeat the electrolyte suggestion.
..and add, huge ice blocks.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/
1624401285369.png

I love freezing fresh greens, berries, fruits, and other flock favorites in ice cube trays. Then when I let them out I drop one or two into their water bowls and they have a great time watching it melt, meanwhile its also keeping the water cold.
I will also sprizt them with a light water mist every once and a while. They also really love frozen corn and other fruits.

Back
Top Bottom