Preparing for an Emu

StepfordCuckoos

Songster
Mar 20, 2019
So my family and I have been debating getting Emus. We live on about 300 acres so land is not an issue. I'm wondering if you guys could link barns or sheds that would be adequate (size-wise/protective enough for them) for them to live in. Also, I've seen that a 7 or 8 foot tall fence is a good height to keep them in. What size/area would you suggest for them? Thank you!

So my family and I have been debating getting Emus. We live on about 300 acres so land is not an issue. I'm wondering if you guys could link barns or sheds that would be adequate (size-wise/protective enough for them) for them to live in. Also, I've seen that a 7 or 8 foot tall fence is a good height to keep them in. What size/area would you suggest for them? Thank you!
We have emu, and they will eventually find a way out. The first time one male would not have anything to do with the female, this is common. Second time they learned how to unlock there doors from the inside. Just be prepared or have a game plan.
We have 6’ tall fences and it works. The idea is you get them young so they get to know you.
About the room ? What are your intentions with
The birds. Pets ?

My family once considered getting emus, but one thing you have to consider is that emus primary purpose is meat and oil. It's hard to have emus just for eggs, so if you don't feel comfortable processing a five foot plus bird, I wouldn't get any.

My family once considered getting emus, but one thing you have to consider is that emus primary purpose is meat and oil. It's hard to have emus just for eggs, so if you don't feel comfortable processing a five foot plus bird, I wouldn't get any.
Why would they need to be processed?
We're looking to have them as pets. Eggs would just be a side effect of having them for us, if it worked out.

We have emu, and they will eventually find a way out. The first time one male would not have anything to do with the female, this is common. Second time they learned how to unlock there doors from the inside. Just be prepared or have a game plan.
We have 6’ tall fences and it works. The idea is you get them young so they get to know you.
About the room ? What are your intentions with
The birds. Pets ?
We would just want them for pets! After doing a bit more reading, I think we're going to wait. Right now we have our chickens and we'll focus on them. Emus sound like a lot of fun, but definitely a lot of work haha.

Why would they need to be processed?
We're looking to have them as pets. Eggs would just be a side effect of having them for us, if it worked out.
If you were trying to get some profit off them, or just break even. Other than that, the one emu I met was very sweet and I would have loved to have him as a pet. But if a male started attacking, a five foot plus bird with big claws doesn't seem like the best pet. You'd have to be careful about the temperament of any emus you'd get.

Emus make wonderful pets, don't listen to someone who has not any or does not know how to handle them , they are not ornaments lol
If an emu kicks, must be something wrong with the owner lol.
I have had my 2 pairs for 13 years now and love cuddles daily and are very affectionate and also very intelligent,almost like a human beings or better then some lol. They are my life.
They are also good guards, kill a fox or any other predators entering their pad. They killed 3 big rats last 2 weeks trying to steal their food enter the bucket over night. The live mostly out under hedges, trees, conifers if dry, otherwise they have an open shed ab.10 x 8 ft..when laying, I put hay in for them to cover their eggs.. Once adults they don't need much land they just hang around gate and watch me, what I'm doing outside. lol my allotment is just in centre of all my animals.

Enjoy your pets .
Calla

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom