Preparing for Broody - questions!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pharm Girl, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    My broody SLW has been sitting on plastic easter eggs for over a week. I'm heading out to pick up 6 fertilized eggs tomorrow. So excited! I've decided to leave her in the coop and move the other three ladies to the new coop I bought. They will all be in the same side yard, just different coops. My question is, what substrate should I have in the coop for the babies. Right now there are pine shavings and the broody is on a nest of shavings topped with straw.
    I remember with the last chicks I hand raised, I put down paper towels, but now they are out in a coop. Should they be on hay? Sand? - Nah, shavings? I could put paper towels down, but the mama bird will probably rip it up with her big feet. What do you do?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I would just keep the shavings if I were you. With a mama hen around to show them what to eat and what they shouldn't eat, I don't think the shavings would be a problem.

Congrats on your broody! Mine have yet to become broody yet, but it shouldn't be much longer.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My broody hatched hers just fine on shavings, both in the nest and outside the nest. With a mama hen there to show them what to eat, it's not an issue. Just make sure the feeders/waterers are at chick level.

Have fun! There's nothing sweeter than a broody and her babies. [​IMG]

4. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Songster

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Shaving are fine. As is the straw. Be absolutely sure feeders and

waterers are a chick level. Not only to make sure they can reach them,

but if you use big buckets for water the chicks can fall in once they start

flying up on the edges. - I had it happen to me before. the chick almost

drowned. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    Thanks for the input! I got the 6 eggs under her. Now I have the long slog of a wait! It pouring down rain. I was hoping to get the new coop ready to roll for the others. [​IMG]
    I still have all the baby chick feeders from when the mama was a little chick. I'll have to clean it all up and get it ready for the newbies. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: