1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Preparing for Hatchery Chicks to arrive

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by donnap1967, Jul 14, 2008.

1. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I have very limited experience with chickens. Right now I have four silkies that are 4 weeks old that I hatched at home. I am getting an order of six day old chicks (standard breeds) from My Pet Chicken this week sometime.
    I am planning to keep them separate for a week to quarantine before I attempt to put them together. Is that long enough?
    I know that when the new chicks come in the mail they will be stressed and I have purchased pedialyte for them. Is that better than sugar water? Should I give sugar water instead? Anything else I should be doing to prepare for hatchery chicks?

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe the recommended quarantine time is a month, & that they should not be too close, then you have to assimilate them – let them see each other but not able to “get” to each other for a week.....

Pedialyte is better then plain ole sugar water but you may want purchase some Avian Charge (my local feedlot did not carry so I bought online @ McMurray), it comes in powdered form so you just mix as needed. It’s basically a multivitamin for chickens & good to have on hand for stressed or sick birds..sounds like you have the basics covered - good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by