Preparing for heat wave

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
My goodness, this heat wave it insane! We're in a small town past Bellingham, and our average temps are usually 70-80's, but were expecting a spike to the 100's! Yesterday was 100 degrees, but today will be 102, and rising to 107 tomorrow! Our horses nor poultry are used to temps like this, and I need ideas as to how to keep them cool. I'm adding all the electrolytes I have left to the poultry water, but I need to get some for the horses. We don't have a barn for the mares, they're pastured with run in sheds. We're going to extend the pasture into the shade, and do a lot of hosing down.
What about the chickens? I'm adding electrolytes to their water, and hanging up dog blankets on the run fence to give them more shade. I'll let the ducks out with a sprinkler as well, and if I get a chance I'll get them some watermelon. Any other ideas? They were panting yesterday, so another 7 degrees is gonna be even worse. Thanks for the suggestions, stay cool!

Hey there! I’m also in the PNW, and it’s been really warm. I’ve found that lots of shade is helpful, the chickens being able to dust bathe, ice in their water, electrolytes, frozen treats (like watermelon) and spraying the roof of the coop before bedtime is helpful. @aart has a good article on extreme temperatures that I will link, and there’s another discussion thread on this topic.

Thread

Article

Thank you! I've done ice water, electrolytes, shade and fans in the past, and appreciate the additional tips. I'll look in that thread and article. Thanks again!
Make sure you stay safe as well! Drink plenty of water and stay cool!

I’ve noticed if I’m outside (especially doing anything strenuous like lugging water) I get kind of dizzy and have to go inside after 10 minutes.

Make sure you stay safe as well! Drink plenty of water and stay cool!

I’ve noticed if I’m outside (especially doing anything strenuous like lugging water) I get kind of dizzy and have to go inside after 10 minutes.
I will, thank you! Currently sitting by a fan inside after making Pumpkin muffins. 😋
You as well! Keep cool and take breaks during work, its key. Thanks so much for all your advice and help!

Something that I do. I dig holes like 1-2 feet down and water it full in mornings and all around. It stays moist throughout the day, not muddy, and the chickens love sitting there, especially if there's shade. Cold and frozen treats like watermelon, strawberries, corn, cherries, etc. Extra water in their area for a drink. Frozen water bottles/jugs for them to lean against. Ofc extra shade too if possible.
I'll reply/edit if I forgot something.

Something that I do. I dig holes like 1-2 feet down and water it full in mornings and all around. It stays moist throughout the day, not muddy, and the chickens love sitting there, especially if there's shade. Cold and frozen treats like watermelon, strawberries, corn, cherries, etc. Extra water in their area for a drink. Frozen water bottles/jugs for them to lean against. Ofc extra shade too if possible.
I'll reply/edit if I forgot something.
Ooo, thats a good idea. I'll have to do that tomorrow morning, as theres no way I'm digging a hole now lol! Thanks for the suggestion!
I'm gonna freeze some stuff for tomorrow as well. They're panting today and tomorrow will be even hotter.

Ooo, thats a good idea. I'll have to do that tomorrow morning, as theres no way I'm digging a hole now lol! Thanks for the suggestion!
I'm gonna freeze some stuff for tomorrow as well. They're panting today and tomorrow will be even hotter.
Watering the place morning and around 4-5, where there is shade, brings down the temp.

I recommend digging a few feet wide so a few chickens can sit there as well.
I dig around the tree trunks so not only are you providing shade and coolness for your chickens, your also watering your tree.
Another thing, chickens might not understand what the frozen bottles are for at first. Placing them in their favorite area works best for me.

Back
Top Bottom