Preparing for homecoming

Hello! Thanks for the reply. I'm getting 11 (hopefully 10 female and 1 male). I was reading online to put marble or rocks in the waterer and then I was thinking of using the long feeders with the holes in them so they don't fall in. I was going to get a large plastic tote and put holes in the top so my cats don't get them and get one of those brooders that has the flat metal top. I'm away at work most days so I'm a bit worried about using one of the traditional style heat lamps. What kind of chick feed and grit do you use? Why do you say non-medicated? Thanks
If they’ve already been vaccinated against coccidiosis, then avoid the medicated feed. If not, then medicated for the first several weeks (people have differing opinions as to how long). I’ve used marbles myself with very teeny chicks. It’s a good safety measure. I like the large tote idea. Easy for you to scrub out instead of the large cardboard boxes I replaced every week. I’m in agreement with you about traditional heat lamps. When I use them, I mount them above (and a little nearer to one side of the box- opposite end of the feeder and waterer). (You have cats around, so if you are able to keep the brooder in an area the cats don’t have any access to, then it won’t be a safety issue for the chicks…. and not so much of a worry for you!) I’ve also used ceramic heat-emitting bulbs in a fixture with a dimmer in order to adjust the amount of heat output. Don’t forget to place a thermometer inside to monitor temperature. As far as feed goes, I like Purina Start and Grow and Manna Pro Non-Medicated Chick Starter Grower. There are a lot of good ones out there. Just make sure whatever you get is at least 18% protein. I also use Manna Pro Chick Grit when I begin giving anything in addition to the chick crumbles. Make sure your feeder isn’t something the chicks can fling all of the food out, so you can avoid too much waste (and more trips for you to buy more). I’m so excited for you! Rearing chicks is so fun and very rewarding. Good Wishes!

-chick waterer - The plastic 1 qt mason jar ones that others have posted above, is what I use. I've never needed marbles or rocks inside it but I've only raised standard sized chicks, which are less likely to drown in them due to their size vs the waterer size.

-chick feeder - So I'm super cheap. I have the matching plastic feeder that's the same size/type as the waterer, but I don't even have the jar portion that goes on top. I just add feed as needed into the bottom part and let them play in it.

-brooder light - For actual light: the sun. 😎 I brood outdoors with a "mama heating pad."

-medicated chick feed vs not medicated - I don't use medicated feed. I have had coccidiosis in my flock. My chicks are exposed to it as they're outside with the flock and develop immunity that way.

-chick grit - As I brood outdoors and can't control what the chicks are nibbling on, I offer grit from the start.

-treats or no treats - I begin offering small amounts of treats after about a week or so, to help the chicks get over their fear of my hands.

Last edited:
-chick waterer - The plastic 1 qt mason jar ones that others have posted above, is what I use. I've never needed marbles or rocks inside it but I've only raised standard sized chicks, which are less likely to drowning in them due to their size vs the waterer size.

-chick feeder - So I'm super cheap. I have the matching plastic feeder that's the same size/type as the waterer, but I don't even have the jar portion that goes on top. I just add feed as needed into the bottom part and let them play in it.

-brooder light - For actual light: the sun. 😎 I brood outdoors with a "mama heating pad."

-medicated chick feed vs not medicated - I don't use medicated feed. I have had coccidiosis in my flock. My chicks are exposed to it as they're outside with the flock and develop immunity that way.

-chick grit - As I brood outdoors and can't control what the chicks are nibbling on, I offer grit from the start.

-treats or no treats - I begin offering small amounts of treats after about a week or so, to help the chicks get over their fear of my hands.
Agreed…. nothing better than the “mama heating pad”!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with feeding medicated feed to chicks, whether the protozoa are present or not. It will not hurt them. They can still develop the immunity they need. But unless the protozoa are present, it also does no good.

If you get your chicks vaccinated for Cocci, do not feed medicated feed. It can negate the vaccinations.
Thank you for this explanation regarding medicated and unmedicated feed, especially this last sentence. I did not know this. I think when we order chicks we have them vaccinated and then still feed them medicated feed. I will have to remember this next time we have chicks.

You won't need immediately when the chicken are little but after about 4-6 months you will want an automatic chicken coop door to let them in or out each day. Its tough to remember to do let them out and lock them up every night. I read a statistic that said that 46% of urban dwelling chickens get let out more than 3 times a week. This is sad and makes for unhappy chickens. They will pick on each other, hurt/kill each other, and even eat their own eggs. To be a good chicken keeping parent you will want an automatic chicken coop door. I've been through about 5 different chicken coop door designs but I found a USA built door that is the best quality I found so far. The first year I went through 4 other designs in 6 months and lost 6 chickens because of cheaply built doors. But the one I'm using now is 5 years old and still running strong. My father, uncle and several of our friends all use the same door for their coop too. I got mine at AutomaticChickenCoopDoor.com

As for waterer I buried a water line from my pole-barn to my coop and connected a heater dog water dish that is self filling. So during the summer I have it unplugged and around cold months like now I plug it in to keep the water from freezing. I've used the same water dish for over 10 years now.

Feeder I found a feeder I could hang on the wall and could fill it with a full bag of feed. Now I only have to fill their feed every 2 weeks.

Feed I've always used Layena Purina. It comes in crumbles for chicks and pellets after they are 6 months or older. Its roughly $10 per bag. 20-30 chickens will take 7-15 days to eat all of it.

You can use a brooder light but I prefer the brooder heat plates. Less risk of injury. But many people do use the lights so its common.

As many treats as they/you want. They will become picky and only eat what they want. Any leftovers go to the chickens here.

Welcome to the world of Chicken Keeping!
Really great information!

Back
Top Bottom