Preparing for my girls!

I added a roost bar about 6" off the ground when they were about 3 weeks old so they could jump up and down and roost if they wanted. By the 50# bag..or 100# bag. I think with my 15 week olds who are still on a grower...between starter and this, I am about 135 pounds of feed or so. I just got done with one 50#bag....

I
Hope you saw this.

As far as the branch it doesn't matter but it would give them one more thing to have fun with while they are babies even though they won't roost on it for a while.
I did see it. Thanks for the info!

Go on fresh eggs daily!! There are lots of great tips and tricks that i use dor my chickens and they sure do enjoy it! Also she has a post on what she makes her brooder out of and what she puts in there

I have 5 chicks in a plastic bin, no top, with a 100 wat bulb, in the house right now. They are only 5 days old. I bought a 25lb bag for now with 100# for my big girls. Two had pasty butt and they didn't like the warm cotton swab to their bottom. I am using a small layer of straw and changing it every 4 days. They are doing well.

Last edited:
Sand is a great substrate choice... white light removes the benifit of red light helping to keep them more relaxed. The Red light helps cover any spots that might be an attraction for other chicks to pick at. Dont use medicated feed unless you need it. Electrolites and probiotics will go a long way in regards to their overall ability to "thrive" . A packet of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!

Sand is a great substrate choice... white light removes the benifit of red light helping to keep them more relaxed. The Red light helps cover any spots that might be an attraction for other chicks to pick at. Dont use medicated feed unless you need it. Electrolites and probiotics will go a long way in regards to their overall ability to "thrive" . A packet of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!
My local feed store sells the electrolyte packages, and to give that for the first 3 days, which I did. Should I be doing anything past that? Like on a daily basis?

Only when they might be stressed. We give the porbiots after any de wormings or if we have to use antibiotics.
Ok. I think I remember reading that it's good to de worm every 6 months? How accurate is that?

Last edited:
Yes we de worm twice a year. If you have small children this is a particularly important thing to do... (roundworms can cause blindness in children) look for Strike III @ TSC add to the feed no "lay off" for egg consumption. It is an important thing to do for the health of the flock. Remember you are now part of that flock.

Back
Top Bottom