Preparing for threats of an intervention

TJAnonymous

Enabler
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
First off, I blame @jolenesdad for this thread.... 😂 I participated in the Chicken Poop Bingo contest and was so enthralled by the Rainbow eggs that I *HAD* to get some.

Let me say that I am SUPER IMPRESSED by the care that was put into packaging and protection of these hatching eggs. I have ordered from many sources in the past including well known hatcheries and NONE OF THEM have put as much effort into protecting my investment as Spitz brothers. The package was double boxed.... On top of rigid foam AND loose foam fill which isn't visible in this picture. Like seriously...top of the line!

20210630_142033.jpg

OK, now my dilemma. I didn't tell my DH that I was ordering more eggs and he already thinks I have too many chickens. He's gonna flip his lid when he gets home and sees the incubator.... 😂

BUT HOW COULD I PASS THIS UP?

I hear ya folks. My DH cringed when I got my first 2 chicks and he complained about everything chicken the first few years. I did noticed when HIS friends or family came around and he got to give away eggs and talk about the chickens he was proud though and then everything kind of changed.
The other week he dropped 40+ eggs off to my friend to incubate for me cuz my incubator was full. I have about 30 working chooks as I also sell eggs and chicks to TRY to balance the books a little. He did it no problem and w/o a negative word. Sometimes you just have ride it out... and buy him a new tool or toy.

I have to ask...which website did you order from? I googled Spitz Brothers & could only find some rock band. 😂.
I hear ya about hub. I told him I ordered 12 which he though was a lot, (but it was 15) & I’m gonna play dumb and act like they threw 3 in for free lol.
@jolenesdad gave me the contact info so I could reach out to them directly, but from what I've gathered, they do business through a Facebook site. I don't have Facebook. Here is their Instagram site - https://www.instagram.com/spitzbroshomestead/

I'll also add that they provided me with a Veterinary Service 9-3 Form prior to shipping. These people have it together....very impressed!

I hear ya folks. My DH cringed when I got my first 2 chicks and he complained about everything chicken the first few years. I did noticed when HIS friends or family came around and he got to give away eggs and talk about the chickens he was proud though and then everything kind of changed.
The other week he dropped 40+ eggs off to my friend to incubate for me cuz my incubator was full. I have about 30 working chooks as I also sell eggs and chicks to TRY to balance the books a little. He did it no problem and w/o a negative word. Sometimes you just have ride it out... and buy him a new tool or toy.

ha ha...yeah, mine likes to give away eggs. I've had to remind him that I have to PAY for egg cartons so at a minimum he could at least ask for a $1 or something to cover that cost.

He just keeps reminding me that you need a state license to own chickens once you reach 100 chickens. Lol...I think I'm around 50 right now BEFORE getting these latest hatching eggs. Of course, chicken math....right? I keep telling myself I'm going to cull the roosters once they get old enough. Maybe sell some chicks that I don't want or need.... But rainbow eggs??? Who could pass up rainbow eggs???
😂

ha ha...yeah, mine likes to give away eggs. I've had to remind him that I have to PAY for egg cartons so at a minimum he could at least ask for a $1 or something to cover that cost.

He just keeps reminding me that you need a state license to own chickens once you reach 100 chickens. Lol...I think I'm around 50 right now BEFORE getting these latest hatching eggs. Of course, chicken math....right? I keep telling myself I'm going to cull the roosters once they get old enough. Maybe sell some chicks that I don't want or need.... But rainbow eggs??? Who could pass up rainbow eggs???
😂
Yeah... rainbow eggs is pretty great :love Plus those are groovy speckled rainbow eggs... I love the speckles.
I always think it could be worse right? Gambling? Shopping? So many bad habits to be had out there. I think maybe we are doing it right just keeping chickens in a friendly way and sharing.
Yes, and aren't carton costs terrible?! What the heck right?! I give my people a buck off if they bring me cartons but I am real close to needing to buy because no one bothers to return gift cartons or cares enough to NOT throw away plastic when they could let it be reused by someone who gave them a gift or good deal. :duclife long rant.

Yeah... rainbow eggs is pretty great :love Plus those are groovy speckled rainbow eggs... I love the speckles.
I always think it could be worse right? Gambling? Shopping? So many bad habits to be had out there. I think maybe we are doing it right just keeping chickens in a friendly way and sharing.
Yes, and aren't carton costs terrible?! What the heck right?! I give my people a buck off if they bring me cartons but I am real close to needing to buy because no one bothers to return gift cartons or cares enough to NOT throw away plastic when they could let it be reused by someone who gave them a gift or good deal. :duclife long rant.

I get my dozen count cartons for about $.50 each. The 18 count are more like $.70 each. So that has to be factored into the cost. I currently sell my eggs for $3/dz or $4/18 ct. But I give $.25 discount to anyone who brings me cartons. I will use/take any cartons I can get but, technically speaking, by our state law you have to use new cartons when you sell eggs. You aren't supposed to "repurpose" egg cartons for sales.

As for the Rainbow eggs....yeah, I wanted some Copper Marans, Olive Eggers, and Silverudds. Although I still want to know how she got PURPLE eggs. I've had some heavy bloomers but none that looked purple like that....

Btw, DH came home and saw my bulk delivery of egg cartons. His response was "well, at least it wasn't more chickens....." Should we take a bet on how much time will pass before he notices? ;)

Back
Top Bottom