Preparing peafowl for hurricane

old biddy

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Lamont, Florida
Hurricane Dorian is heading our way and we are preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. My biggest concern is taking care of my peafowl. I have two large 10'x10'x9' coops with 6' high perches. My three yearling peachicks roost at night in one of them. My adult mated pair roost in the trees. I have an injured guinea fowl using the other coop. Some of our chickens roost in the hen house and some free range sleeping in trees along with our other guinea fowl. I am wondering if it is best for them to ride out the storm in the coops or let them free range. Has anyone experienced this dilemma?

Hurricane Dorian is heading our way and we are preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. My biggest concern is taking care of my peafowl. I have two large 10'x10'x9' coops with 6' high perches. My three yearling peachicks roost at night in one of them. My adult mated pair roost in the trees. I have an injured guinea fowl using the other coop. Some of our chickens roost in the hen house and some free range sleeping in trees along with our other guinea fowl. I am wondering if it is best for them to ride out the storm in the coops or let them free range. Has anyone experienced this dilemma?
Yikes, thinking of you!! I honestly have no experience with this, but I would guess that the coop would be safer. My thinking is, that if the storm is coming through when it's dark and all the birds decide to go dumb, at least they have a roof over their head. Also, depending on your area, if you have a lot of older trees that could be dropping branches and uprooting, would make for a dangerous time to be out.
Interested to hear everyone else's opinion! People who have experience with this... will they get frightened and leave their free range area completely?

Great idea ... My daughter put my grand daughters Silkie pair & egg in their shower stall when they had a bad storm (FL) last year. Bubbles hatched there & they did fine until morning when the Roo started crowing :lau

2019 Farrell - 04 Silkie Family (1).jpg
2019 Farrell - 04 Silkie Family (2).jpg
2019 Farrell - 04 Silkie Family (3).jpg

Great ideas. Lucky for us it looks like the hurricane may stay further to the east and not come to the Big Bend area where we are. If so, what a relief. If things change and it does come our way I am planning to catch each peafowl and put them in kennels inside our cabin. That's what I did during the last hurricane, but I only had two peafowl then and now I have 5 adults and one peachick. But I think all will be well here on our farm. Thanks guys for the comments and advice!

Back
Top Bottom