Prepping for self sufficiency as it involves Chickens (aka prepper)

ocap

Crowing
7 Years
Jan 1, 2013
Smithville, Missouri
I view my involvement with chickens primarily as a source of food and the joy of raising beautiful, friendly birds a benefit. I never intend to show my chickens for ribbons but I will go to those shows looking for great roosters that will boost my hens ability to create great dual purpose chicks. Please search out great threads on BYC and recommend them here if it will aid me in being self sufficient. Recommend great breeders of quality dual purpose chickens that are members of BYC and will ship roosters to those of us that want to improve our flocks with birds that are near the standard but not show quality. Give your reasons for selecting a particular breed or breeds as it/they pertain(s) to producing food. Off the grid ideas are welcomed since loss of "layer ration" or "hen scratch" is a possibility by those that frequently visit this thread and we might be required to grow our own feed. Also, off the grid means not being able to incubate and must have hens that will be successful mothers.

I could not decide on the perfect prepper flock so I have ordered six different breeds for June delivery. Jersey Giant, Australorp, Wyandotte, Orpington, Brahma for dual purpose, and Silkie for broody hens to raise chicks from the other breeds. Let me know what you think.

I too am looking towards a self-sufficient flock when I get birds. I have decided on Buckeyes for my first flock. Here is why:
- good at foraging
- not white as we have a very strong bird of prey population around here and white on the prairie is like a neon sign for the diner
- cold tolerant and pea combs to lessen frostbite possiblitly
- somewhat broody and good mothers
- nice sized, brown eggs with a decent rate of laying
- decent size and meat production for eating culls and extras
- described as friendly birds

There is a thread on BYC that I am reading in the Feeding and Watering Your Flock forum that has some interesting ideas for self-sufficiency.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/615228/home-feeding-ideas-and-solutions-discussion-thread

I too am looking towards a self-sufficient flock when I get birds. I have decided on Buckeyes for my first flock. Here is why:
- good at foraging
- not white as we have a very strong bird of prey population around here and white on the prairie is like a neon sign for the diner

There is a thread on BYC that I am reading in the Feeding and Watering Your Flock forum that has some interesting ideas for self-sufficiency.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/615228/home-feeding-ideas-and-solutions-discussion-thread
WOW !!! great thread on home feeding solutions. Within five minutes I learned about duckweed and will give it a try. I had not discovered this thread. This is exactly why I wanted to start a complete self sufficiency thread.

I had a cooper hawk in my coop last summer. I have doors on the ends of a 30x32 pen with a total wire roof. He flew in one of the doors and couldn't find his way out. My poodle cross dog had quickly learned how to guard my flock and was inside the pen chasing the hawk.

here is one solution for shelter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jBVWl2v7KA

I think I will have one nest box mounted outside for each hen inside.
The Natural Chicken keeping thread on this site mentions using golf balls to force broodiness in hens, that is why I will need so many nests.
Hardwear Cloth to keep out racoon's paws.
I will be able to move this to fresh grass daily and in that way have less need for medication.
I must think of a way to keep coyote(s) from digging in and yet still have it portable.
The temperature in Kansas City area is below 10 degrees F in January so keeping water liquid without electricity will be a challenge, please give me your thoughts.

You can put a chicken-wire skirting around the tractor to keep out diggers - just keep a S-hook handy to flip it up and hook it to the side of the tractor when you move it. Remeber to unhook it and lay it flat on the ground after moving the tractor - maybe step it down into the grass alittle bit before you leave.

- good at foraging

I followed your advice and ordered six buckeye chickens from Duane Urch in Minnesota

Hopefully they work out as great as I am thinking they will. So many people who have them just love them.
Sounds like a great start to your project, it sounds like he has some of the best birds.
Congratulations!
and keep us updated on how it goes.

Someone on the "natural" thread just bought a incubator that is DC powered, she is going to back up the 110 AC home current with her car's system

Back
Top Bottom