Preserving chicken skin with feathers attached?

Cazook

Songster
Nov 24, 2019
This may be a slightly out-there question, but what is the best way to preserve a whole chicken skin as a wall display, such as is done with a deer skin, fur etc? My idea so far would be to take the whole skin, remove as much of the fat and layer it with salt until it dries out, or to attach it to a drying frame (no idea if the chicken skin would be tough enough for this though). Is there a better way? And would the feathers stay attached or fall out from this?

1624616531684.png

I'm brain dead from a busy season right now so wont go into much detail here, but I started a thread about this a while back. Definitely can be done. This is a picture of one that I preserved - an Americauna cockrell. Have fun!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-to-do-with-chicken-skin.1398575/

Hi! I wound up with three gorgeous hybrid roosters that I can’t use for stud. I’d like to sell their capes intact. How did you cut the skin to keep it whole?

Hi! I wound up with three gorgeous hybrid roosters that I can’t use for stud. I’d like to sell their capes intact. How did you cut the skin to keep it whole?
I just cut open the skin up the keel bone and peeled the skin off the carcass like a jacket. The wing tips have to get cut off at the first joint (better to do that before skinning) and I just cut the legs so I could open the skin and lay it flat.

Back
Top Bottom