First let me say - Lovely Flock!!!

OK - First observation - looks like your roo there is a wheaten roo. So I'm going to assume the basic genetic build for him is:

E^Wh / E^Wh (Thats the Wheaten base with no modifications)

Second Obvservation - Unless I'm looking at the wrong picture?, your little hen isn't a pure sebright, but does share some sebright traits. Her patterning is not a single lace, but rather a blend of incomplete double lacing and spangling. This would be an entirely expected outcome if a sebright had been bred to something else and this hen was the result. (See some of my other posts to see birds of mine that are very similar!) For this hen I'm going to take a very rough guess at her genetic build (influenced on what I've learned from mine) and say she "might" be as follows:

E^R / E^R OR E^R / e^b - Either a Birchen Base or Birchen & Partridge Base
Co / Co - Double dose of Columbian Gene
Db / Db - Double dose of Ginger Gene (this may change depending on the base above)
Pg / Pg - Double dose of Pencilling Gene
Ml / ml+ - Single dose of Melanistic Gene

This genetic build "should" give a Gold Bird with Black Incomplete Double Lacing and Half Spangling. A couple of the gene pairs could change a little bit but essentially this is the recipe you're starting with.

Sooo....
If you bred your Wheaten rooster with the above hen you would get babies that are as follows:

The base will be half wheaten and half from mom:
So E^Wh / E^R or E^Wh / e^b

The base colour will be brown/red/gold - neither parent offers any red diluters (i.e. silver)

The black patterning will be variable, depending on which genes are passed down from mom. Let's assume that half of the above genes from above are given as follows:

Co / co+ - Single dose of Columbian Gene
Db / db+ - Single dose of Ginger Gene (maybe?)
Pg / pg+ - Single dose of Pencilling Gene
Ml / ml+ - Single dose of Melanistic Gene (maybe?)

What that would look like on a bird could be quite variable. Anywhere from similar to your wee mom to a bird with simple black smudges and random black placement on the feathers.

Suggest you play with the chicken calculator to see what happens when you add and takeaway various genes!! It's really fun and addictive haha.

http://kippenjungle.nl/chickencalculator.html
Half my crested birds have a pink beak and feet and the other half have a yellow beak and feet. I love the pink because I can't say I've seen that colour on a chickens beak before. I intend to only breed the pinkys and get that uniform in any future chicks.. the sebright is going to throw an interesting spanner in haha. The lacing will definitely be a side project 😅

Thank you. That is another first today.. a chicken calculator. Sounds very fun. Thank you so much for your detailed input.. wow.. much knowledge there.. although I fear my last post re sex linked silver may throw a spanner lol 😆

It will be interesting to see what does develop with this mix. I have access to pure gold and silver sebrights if she turns out to be a wrong move. I was given 2 by a friend but one arrived v poorly and didn't make it, the other managed to somehow get over the fence into the neighbours yard where their dog killed her😪 I have fortified the fence since. They are very flighty, skittish birds and the sounds they make are weird. I only want the lacing.. and maybe the upright tail feature, and dropped wing tips would enhance the shape of my birds🤔 I guess its all in the doing hahaha

The silver parentage of your sebright mix hen was noted ... but no it won't matter in this case. It does not add anything to her genetic makeup from a colour point of view :)

If you have access to pure sebrights, I'd suggest this would be a better starting point if you are trying to introduce lacing. The reason I say this is because a single laced sebright will have the full and proper lacing recipe (your current hen only has some of required genes), and you will be able to more accurately predict which genes will pass down to your chicks. I'd suggest getting a full sebright hen and mixing it with your desired roo (If you are wanting to introduce crests then I'd suggest now is a good time to use a crested rooster).

You can then save your existing hen to use as an unrelated breeding bird at a future stage in your project. Breeding her to one of your crested rooster babies from the above pairing, would give you a small chance to get lacing, and a larger chance at a whooooole range of interesting partial laces and patterns as well <3

The silver parentage of your sebright mix hen was noted ... but no it won't matter in this case. It does not add anything to her genetic makeup from a colour point of view :)

If you have access to pure sebrights, I'd suggest this would be a better starting point if you are trying to introduce lacing. The reason I say this is because a single laced sebright will have the full and proper lacing recipe (your current hen only has some of required genes), and you will be able to more accurately predict which genes will pass down to your chicks. I'd suggest getting a full sebright hen and mixing it with your desired roo (If you are wanting to introduce crests then I'd suggest now is a good time to use a crested rooster).

You can then save your existing hen to use as an unrelated breeding bird at a future stage in your project. Breeding her to one of your crested rooster babies from the above pairing, would give you a small chance to get lacing, and a larger chance at a whooooole range of interesting partial laces and patterns as well <3
This is awesome, thanks heaps for all your thoughts. I've been considering getting a couple of sebrights, so maybe it's time. I have far too many chickens atm so I'll rehome some of my lil non cresteds first haha. Everyone so far wants the crested birds, so fingers xed lol. Thank you again Kooky Kiwi 🥝

Update.. My little sebright cross is showing a teenie tiny bit of cresting so I am realising her cross is already to Ziggy (Sire), my first crested rooster. I'm not sure if I should breed her back to Ziggy.. or my new biggest crested boy, Ziggy's son, Rufous.. from the onset. Her Mum was a pure silver sexlinked sebright. Ziggy and Rufous are both vaulted skulled/ crested and wheaten. Any thoughts?

Wow nothing gets past you does it 😅 You are totally right.. actually the sebrights mother was a silver.. (sex linked to a golden roo) and her Dad was a wheaten-black non crested bantam roo below(cochin/oegb/? A gazillion guesses what breed they are🤷‍♀️)

View attachment 2841570

Thank you very much. I'm going to read the rest of your informed post. Much appreciate 🙏
What a handsome and macho little roo!

Update.. My little sebright cross is showing a teenie tiny bit of cresting so I am realising her cross is already to Ziggy (Sire), my first crested rooster. I'm not sure if I should breed her back to Ziggy.. or my new biggest crested boy, Ziggy's son, Rufous.. from the onset. Her Mum was a pure silver sexlinked sebright. Ziggy and Rufous are both vaulted skulled/ crested and wheaten. Any thoughts?
:caf

Back
Top Bottom