pressure treated lumber

tribalchick

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 17, 2008
Virginia
I read somewhere not to use pressure treated lumber. Back in the day that was definately true - you could not even burn this lumber. It is different now.

Any thoughts?

When you burn pressure treated lumber, the wood burns but the chemical stays in the ashes. Don't burn pressure treated lumber, just send it to the dump.

As to the question about using it in coops, I am not sure about. I surely would not use it on rabbit hutches.

Rufus

The EPA put a ban on using arsenic in the treated wood several years ago. I now use it for the framing on all pens and have been doing so for quite some time with no ill effects on any of my animals.

You are all wonderful! It was going to be challenging to return the pressure treated wood I have for non treated yet I was prepared to do so.
Thank you for replying so quickly!

Definitely use PT wood in coop or run. In Sout La non PT wood exposed to weather or ground contact would not last a year.

I wondered about using non PT wood. Our plans are to build an ark and since there will be ground contact, it seems like the best way to go.

My tractor (ark) called for regular wood as well but I made anything exposed to the ground and the top cap all out of PT then covered evrything with a good poly finish. 4 months later it needs pressure cleaning a a few new coats of poly and it should be good for a while
fl.gif
The biggest problem I found with the
the no-treated wood is that it swells up and I can't get the small doors to open or shut. Go Yellow Wood
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom