~~Prettiest Sebright CONTEST~~

I'm going to enter. Just saw the contest. I'm going out now to take a picture of my Jimmy. Don't close it yet!!!!

This is our Silver Sebright. We got him from Estes Hatchery in Springfield in about March of this year.
He is Boy I, his brother is Boy II, and his sister is Sissy.....
He is the only one with the extra wide comb!

99406_042.jpg

99406_045.jpg

This is Jimmy my Golden Sebright roo. He's about a year old. Very sweet. The photo just doesn't do him justice. His comb is such a vibrant red and his colors are just beautiful. Like others have said, my hens fly up and perch on my hands or my shoulders. When no one else seems to like me they always do. :)

92851_010.jpg

Quote:
Oh you just wait......the lacing will improve with age and he will be even more gorgeous. I absolutely adore my sebrights. However; I did have to get rid of some of the roos. They were taking over my yard and bullying my Rocky (a rescue & top dog in my eyes) Rooster. Now I only have 6 hens and 1 roo.......but......shhhhhhh.....20 eggs in incubator.....

Quote:
I noticed one of your sebrights has a funny looking comb.....not a rose comb like they should have....

Probrably a silver laced OEGB or crossed with one. They do that in hatchery to help the hatch rate out. Though, that isn't certain... just most likely. It could be a throw back from a further away cross. It takes 7 generations to breed something out (and that is if you are actively breeding it out).

A rosecomb is a breed requirement in sebrights. single combs are not acceptable. Single combed birds are carrying two copies of a recessive gene for single comb (homogygous). It can be bred out in two generations by someone with a basic knowledge of genetics and the willingness and know how to test mate offspring to identify those birds no longer carrying the recessive single comb gene. If someone has little or no knowledge of genetics they might never eliminate a recessive gene since there is no magic number of generations for eliminating any genes.

Quote:
Yes, OEGB is Old English Game Bantam.... and they are born with straight combs and to be shown should be dubbed. Which is why the SOP and breeders show them without their natural comb. A Sebright doesn't a have straight comb. They have rose combs.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom