Pretty sure a raccoon tried to eat my duck through enclosure (graphic)

@Miss Lydia

I was kind of thinking like you. Wasn't sure if alignment would help or not. It didn't seem like it was but hard to tell. I guess since she seems to not be hurting as badly I will suck it up and extend wing for her just to try and figure out what's going on. I'll try wrapping it to body after pm dressing changes and duck wing physical therapy. Then leave it dressed but unwrapped during the day. Lol, I sound like a crazy person. I know a lot of people wouldn't go through all this but I have to try. It's just in my nature. Plus, I kind of have a soft spot for my ducks.

@Miss Lydia

I was kind of thinking like you. Wasn't sure if alignment would help or not. It didn't seem like it was but hard to tell. I guess since she seems to not be hurting as badly I will suck it up and extend wing for her just to try and figure out what's going on. I'll try wrapping it to body after pm dressing changes and duck wing physical therapy. Then leave it dressed but unwrapped during the day. Lol, I sound like a crazy person. I know a lot of people wouldn't go through all this but I have to try. It's just in my nature. Plus, I kind of have a soft spot for my ducks.
Me Too, I see you only have 2 how is the other duck I bet it's missing it's friend.

I do not think your crazy We have to give them every possible chance to live and when they are doing as well as your girl is there is no reason to give up on them. We can tell when nothing that we do isn't going to help them and it's time to say good bye They let us know. I think your both awesome to keep this all up and I look forward to the day when healing is complete. Let us know how PT goes.

Last edited:
I actually have three ducks, thank goodness. The other two were pretty distraught after I brought the injured one in. They wouldn't eat that day.

I actually have three ducks, thank goodness. The other two were pretty distraught after I brought the injured one in. They wouldn't eat that day.
Poor things. well I was reading your sig you need to update. lol

That is good though so they have each other for comfort while the one in hospital recoups.

@Miss Lydia

Well last night, the wounds still looked about the same. She does appear to be able to move her wing a little more (range wise) but not much. I did stretch the wing out and up and she let me. I didn't extend too much since I know it hurts bc she had that look of someone gritting their teeth. She never cried out or fought me and stayed pretty still even though she started to shake a little, from pain I'm sure. I only did it a handful of times. The wing is missing so much, it makes me sick. I feel horrible. There are so many feathers and tissue Missing I was having a hard time being able to tell what it was supposed to look like. Looked up some diagrams this morning on wing anatomy... She probably will never be able to completely lift it up and will always droop as to whatever got her ate that tendon that connects her shoulder to wrist. Pretty sure she is missing part or most of her metacarpus (hand) as well. Her wing does feel warm but I'm not really too worried. It's no warmer than before. With so much damage, how could it not be. Ugghhh. I did almost cry last night, I just felt so bad and told her I was sorry as she huddled in to rest after me manipulating her wing. I wrapped her wing to her body in hopes it would help. But after researching this morning, I think it's probably pointless except that it keeps her from getting it hung op on stuff. Sorry for the long post. Will be doing her late morning dressing change in about an hour or so.

@Miss Lydia So... maybe I prematurely freaked out. Actually, I think she has her matacarpus. She just has almost no primary feathers. She can even move her wing a bit more. I think I will continue to wrap her wing to the body from night till morning. So it's about 6 days out now.

Last two pictures are one with wing resting and then when she picks it up. Really happy with the way wounds look and curious to see how much the wing can recover.

@Miss Lydia So... maybe I prematurely freaked out. Actually, I think she has her matacarpus. She just has almost no primary feathers. She can even move her wing a bit more. I think I will continue to wrap her wing to the body from night till morning. So it's about 6 days out now.

Last two pictures are one with wing resting and then when she picks it up. Really happy with the way wounds look and curious to see how much the wing can recover.
She is doing awesome @malia It looks so good and I believe she may get at least partial movement if not all once healed . You 2 are a great team. Look at her holding her wing by herself.

@malia. I think she looks great. And most fowl are very resilient. I was gifted a old Guinea, put him with my chickens. He proceeded to tear up my Ameraucana roo, so I put him in a 4x4 cage. The first night a raccoon got him thru the wire. His whole right side and wing was chewed very badly. When I tried to get him out of the cage to treat/clean the wounds he got loose. Did not see him for days. I assumed he went off and died. But he showed up without his right wing. Totally gone. And the wounds on the chest were healing WithOut any help from me. That was several months ago. He is still very much alive and now stays with the chickens. Even roosts high beside the rooster..
Long story short. They have AWSOME healing instinct

Linda

Back
Top Bottom