1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pretty sure it's a rooster...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cherie19, May 5, 2016.

1. cherie19

cherie19 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2016
    Pretty possitive this is a rooster just wanted some expert to tell me forsure. Also I've been trying to figure out the breed through google searches. Is it a polish? [​IMG]

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Rooster, and some bearded crested breed like a polish, could be a polish or a mix :3

3. cherie19

May 5, 2016
    Thanks! I hoped you would say hen but I knew it wasn't. Haha I think I may have either 3-4 roosters out of the 9 chicks I got.

4. Serenity06

Serenity06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    South Alabama

I agree. :)

5. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Dang! Those aren't really good odds you got XD Try to get some more hens or thin out the boys so the ladies don't get overbred Lol

6. cherie19

May 5, 2016
    Oh I will. Working on getting rid of one now because he isn't very nice. I wanted to keep the one in the picture because he's nice and cute! But....yesterday my sweet slikie "girl" crowed... twice... so I guess that's another rooster. Now this morning my two silkies were sort of fighting, not really fighting but a stair down for sure, several times. They are typically best friends. The one that croweed is a couple weeks older than the other one. Not sure if that means the other silkie is a rooster too? I'll try and get some pictures. Not sure how you can tell a silkie rooster vs. hen.

7. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I can try. I am not very good at it though. Silkies are very hard to sex. I guess just look for the usual, like a bigger comb and saddle and hackle feathers, but you can go by the crest too. A females crest will be round and uniform, and a males crest will be very messy and will have thinner 'streamer-y' looking feathers coming out of it.

8. Serenity06

Serenity06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    South Alabama

Post some pictures, and we'll try to help you out!

9. cherie19

May 5, 2016
    I'm going to try and take some this evening :)

10. cherie19

May 5, 2016
    [​IMG][/IMG] here's one in question!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by