I am watching this with interest as I have a very similar case with a crested legbar hen 5 months old. I have made another thread.

Experiencing something similar with my 17 week old Marans Mix (Midnight Majestic Maran) Pullet. She's been slightly limping since yesterday. She's very timid and shy and seems to be near the bottom of the pecking order. I've noticed my blue silkie cockerel giving her some very unwanted attention and I'm hoping she was injured in her attempts to get away from him. I know that sounds bad but I'd rather that than MD.

Experiencing something similar with my 17 week old Marans Mix (Midnight Majestic Maran) Pullet. She's been slightly limping since yesterday. She's very timid and shy and seems to be near the bottom of the pecking order. I've noticed my blue silkie cockerel giving her some very unwanted attention and I'm hoping she was injured in her attempts to get away from him. I know that sounds bad but I'd rather that than MD.
If you click on the blue box “post new thread” in middle of the page here, you can start a new thread of your own for any help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

If you click on the blue box “post new thread” in middle of the page here, you can start a new thread of your own for any help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to reach out. I'm going to get her now to give her a good look all over. Unless I find something alarming or unordinary, I'm just going to keep a close eye on her for now. Although I'm trying to figure out what a bruise would appear as on her gorgeous dark black skin. I do think it's crazy that 3 of us are experiencing something so similar, so that was my reason for posting. Thank you again, for everything! I really appreciate you so much

A nasty bruise between the toes can cause enough pain the chicken won't feel like walking.
It seems more like he can't walk, since he's struggling to move his legs at all.

I agree, not time to throw the baby out with the bath water, at least not yet.

My experience with Marek's disease is that the limp goes to the dragging of toes better known as knuckling under very rapidly. I once lost an 8 week old pullet in less than a week from first limp to second leg involvement and full 'scissor' stance and having to be culled. If this is Marek's I think it will progress and you will know for sure if it is MD.

He struggles to try and pull his leg under him but can't seem to do more than pull it a bit closer to him before he gives up. Would this be the 'scissor' stance you mentioned?
Glasspoole-leg.png

Last edited:
Unfortunately, yes it does look like that.

When it progresses, the unaffected leg will stretch out to the front giving the stance the 'scissor' effect.

Is he eating and drinking? Has he lost weight?

Here is a good article where you can click on the “clinical signs” with many pictures of the positioning of a chicken with Mareks:
https://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/#/disease/Marek's_Disease
Yeah, one is back and the other forward, if they both went into the front they would probably both be sticking out in front of him like those images. :/

Unfortunately, yes it does look like that.

When it progresses, the unaffected leg will stretch out to the front giving the stance the 'scissor' effect.

Is he eating and drinking? Has he lost weight?

He's eating a drinking just unable to get around so I moved his food, water where he could get to it. I wasn't sure if I should put him through the stress of some kind of suspended sling that holds him up so he's not on the ground.

Not sure where I should really go from here exactly. I can give him more NutriDrench tonight when the hubby gets home and can help me but it's hard to see him like this without much sign of him getting better.

I would a find a place to have a necropsy done and bring him in alive. Some labs are subsidized by the state so they can have the information as to what might be going on state wide. It would also be good to confirm what he does or doesn’t have. Good luck.

:hugs None of us do when we are faced with something like this, @Wonderling. It's very hard. If you are considering culling, you will know when it is time.

I urge you that if you go that route, to please send him in to a lab for necropsy so you get a definitive diagnosis on what has cause this. I had birds with Ocular Marek's and my dear husband is a retired eye doctor so he was able to diagnose the herpes infection in my birds. Knowing allows you to form a game plan.

If it is definite MD, then yes, your flock is exposed but it isn't the end of the world. I've been dealing with Marek's in my flock for the past almost 4 years now.

Just remember that we are here to help you.

Back
Top Bottom