Update: Okay, after much observation and him learning not to freak out every time I check on him I've been able to conclude that he CAN use his right LEG but his left leg is just there (basically limp, he seems to have hip control?) and BOTH feet just kind of ball up. I can extend his toes but he doesn't seem to know how to make his feet do that and they just remain in a relaxed half-fist state.
He is eating just fine and I think drinking but I've been giving him NutriDrench mixed with some water using a dropper to make sure he's got some fluids. He's got big healthy poops. I've checked him over and didn't see any evidence of mites/lice but treated him with Prozap powder (This stuff: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BM4JLM/?tag=backy-20) a little under the wings and I smeared it all over his legs and feet, just in case there was anything hiding in his leg scales. Leg scales looked okay but he did have a couple scales that were a bit banged up, probably from his current state. I have looked closely at the bottoms of both feet as well and they look fine to me.
So my question is, what does that all add up to? Sound like anything?
Honestly he seems fine other than the whole feet and left leg not cooperating thing, which of course looks uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I agree 100% with @Eggcessive. It sounds as though it is progressing as I mentioned, but until you try the riboflavin.......

I'm sorry that I have to agree.. It does sound and act like Marek's disease. Unfortunately unless you have a vet that can diagnose it for you or you decide to cull(or he dies naturally) and you get a diagnosis via necropsy, we can only wager a guess based on knowledge and experience to try to help you.

I know the pain that you are going through right now. If it is Marek's you are constantly thinking, not my flock...not my flock and I know from my own experience that if it is Marek's it's not the end.....and I have 40 healthy, happy bantams, bantam crosses and Egyptian Fayoumis to prove it!

I agree 100% with @Eggcessive. It sounds as though it is progressing as I mentioned, but until you try the riboflavin.......

I'm sorry that I have to agree.. It does sound and act like Marek's disease. Unfortunately unless you have a vet that can diagnose it for you or you decide to cull(or he dies naturally) and you get a diagnosis via necropsy, we can only wager a guess based on knowledge and experience to try to help you.

I know the pain that you are going through right now. If it is Marek's you are constantly thinking, not my flock...not my flock and I know from my own experience that if it is Marek's it's not the end.....and I have 40 healthy, happy bantams, bantam crosses and Egyptian Fayoumis to prove it!

Did you ever get any vitamin that contains riboflavin (B 2?) Ground beef, liver, plain yogurt, egg yolk, chopped almonds, and salmon has some.) NutriDrench does not have it. This looks like Mareks, but it would be good to give some extra riboflavin just in case of riboflavin deficiency:
https://thepoultrysite.com/publications/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency

I did get a vitamin supplement that I've added to his food that contains riboflavin.
I've ultimately decided that if he's not starting to show some signs of improvement by Sunday evening it will probably be time to put him down and/or arrange to take him to the OSU lab for testing.

I hope you see some improvement soon. If you cull him, the body would need to be kept cool, not frozen to get a necropsy or testing, and most labs are open only M-F. It would need to be delivered Monday or shipped overnight via Fedex or UPS. It helps to contact them ahead of time, and some will send a preprinted shipping label which cannhelp with price.

:hugs

Please keep us informed and if it does get confirmed as Marek's disease know that you are not alone.

I'm only a PM away and will be glad to help however I can from my own experience with the disease.

Thank so much! It really means a lot.

I hope you see some improvement soon. If you cull him, the body would need to be kept cool, not frozen to get a necropsy or testing, and most labs are open only M-F. It would need to be delivered Monday or shipped overnight via Fedex or UPS. It helps to contact them ahead of time, and some will send a preprinted shipping label which cannhelp with price.

Fingers crossed for improvement. :fl
Thanks for the tip. I actually attended OSU and still have some friends who work down there so I might just arrange to make the 1.5hr drive to deliver him and have lunch with a friend to make it less of a sad experience if it comes to that.

:hugs
Please keep us informed

Did you ever get any vitamin that contains riboflavin (B 2?) Ground beef, liver, plain yogurt, egg yolk, chopped almonds, and salmon has some.) NutriDrench does not have it. This looks like Mareks, but it would be good to give some extra riboflavin just in case of riboflavin deficiency:
https://thepoultrysite.com/publications/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency

Oh wow! It's been a journey and it's not over yet but as of today he can stand again.
Yesterday it seemed like he'd gotten the right foot to work a bit and it seemed like maybe his left leg was a bit more responsive but not enough that I could confirm and his left foot was still no good. Trying not to get my hopes up in case it was just wishful thinking I crossed my fingers made sure he was still eating and drinking fine.

So I'm assuming that means it was the riboflavin/vitamin B2? I mean they don't usually regain use of legs if it's marek's do they? I'll start making sure all my guys and gals are getting enough Vitamin B2 either way so, you mentioned liver...I actually have several lamb livers (I raise lambs for meat and sell them so I got some "offal" since some buyers ask for extra for pets), how should I prepare it for them? Do I just boil it? I'd probably cut it up after, then freeze the extra and thaw small bags as I need them.

There is another active thread on the forum right now concerning a member's concerns about Marek's disease and from what her vet told her, yes, they can regain use if hit by paralysis.

Usually when birds survive the first infection and the virus goes dormant they will succumb to one of the secondary diseases caused by the disease, tumors, neurological, etc.

It's good news that your rooster is getting some use back in his leg. Keeping my fingers crossed for you both.

Back
Top Bottom