Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
I have read that folks use "Bag Balm" and other such ointments to treat frost bite. (Also know that frost bite often results from high humidity inside the coop during very cold temperatures. I have a Woods style coop that is designed to eliminate/greatly reduce humidity levels.)

My flock shows no sign of frozen bits although all birds are either 28 or 8 weeks old, the older one only now have well developed combs/waddles.

Should I use "balm" as a preventative measure during very cold periods?

Thank you.

I did some internet digging:

"The primary difference between Bag Balm and all the “udder” ones is the antibiotic. When skin gets cracked on cows or hands, bacteria tend to overgrow there. The antibiotic helps to kill them and allow healing. The only possible negative for Bag Balm is a rare contact allergy to the lanolin, also called wool wax alcohol. Dr. Frank Bures Feb 26, 2012"
The antibiotic would not make a difference in any preventative maintenance aspect I assume but would be better if an injury were to occur. Other than that it seemed that most animal balms are largely the same ingredient base.

I have noticed that my flocks combs seem drier than I remember during their early months. I will wait for a "warm" day and apply as best I can (THAT should be fun).

Maybe it’s just the cold weather drying out their skin. Not sure if their skin reacts same as ours but possibly try feeding foods that help nourish and moisturize skin

Might work as a preventative(I don't think it works)...
...but you'll have to reapply, it's not a once and done thing.

If it doesn't work, hands off any frostbite as touching it can make it worse.
I've had some serious cases here and it healed up just fine all on it's own,
but takes weeks to fully heal.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbite-in-sw-michigan.74597/

Might work as a preventative(I don't think it works)...
...but you'll have to reapply, it's not a once and done thing.

I did not expect a once and done; expected to apply "regularly" as I "felt" it was needed. At the moment some combs appear dryer but I have no absolute comparison (old pictures etc.).

Mild frostbite, as on the comb tips, is really not that serious. Having a ventilated coop, and roosts out of major drafts, helps a lot.
I'm happy to avoid roosters with large single combs and big wattles, the best plan for those of us having cold frozen winters.
Chanteclers! Love them!
(Not sorry for the brief commercial plug).
Mary

Back
Top Bottom