Preventing aggressive behaviour in cockerels/ roos

Hi. :frow

I'm only on page 2 so sorry if someone has said this.. :oops:

That there is some TOTAL falseness... and ONE of the things I don't agree with about the article from Bee. :old

I agree that it can be a good guide line. I tried it with my misbehaving cockerel and it did NOT work for ME. I do think it is a good tool to help tune people into reality but beyond that... EVERYTHING you read or hear should be processed through with some more fact checking, verifying, and UNDERSTANDING. :pop

Listen, I keep a stag pen... with full grown roosters and cockerels from still peeping to very randy... They ALL crow whenever they feel like it. Once in a while another boy standing next to them will do something in attempt to make them stop. They one crowing simply jumps aside and continues his crow. So they might choose to crow from a slightly farther distance but that's it. NO! The head rooster doesn't have to be the first one to crow every day.

And NO, you aren't the head rooster. You should NOT be seen as part of the pecking order. You are the giant who brings food... not the next chicken to show a sign of weakness and be taken down a notch in the flock by another seeking to raise their own position. You are the keeper and the care taker. You are not a threat and nor are you competition. How is the rooster supposed to understand that of the human doesn't? :confused:

Now I treat all boys the same... same as pullets until separated and then like pets who can respect my space. ANYONE "friendly" (people's misunderstanding of confident) who tries to cozy up is denied. I toss treat... and make sure they know their feed comes from me, ie: they see me bring it, I don't just open the door and it's there. All are treated the same... Some are Stew Piddaso's and others are not... in any of my breeds, including... Speckled Sussex, Swedish Flowers, and Silkies. I will catch up, cuz I wanna see all the tips!

Please note... a rooster crowing next to you is not the same as a rooster crowing at you. Which does happen. :smack I don't block ANY of my boys from feed. I allow them to feed and they know it... doesn't mean they are disrespecting me or my space. Please use what you can, but don't treat any article you read or anything you hear as the end all truth to the subject. ;)

Very much like Cesar Milan says about dogs

Very good points. I think sometimes I humanize my flocks, but they just look at me funny and I realize they are chickens, ducks, feral cats, and a dog. So we all speak differently, but they all know who feeds them!

I'm continuing to receive unkind messages (privately) about my rooster post in this discussion. Here's what I just shared with someone:

My comment about my husband was facetious. He and I are very light hearted in our humor, and sometimes in this marriage it helps keep us going. He read my post when I was editing it and said I should mention his vertigo and how if he passes out in the chicken run, the chickens won't leave anything left. Then he said, "Honey, you may want to up the insurance policy."

The chickens have brought a lot of grace and love and humor into our marriage.

People are pretty intense about their chickens! Last summer, my Sweetie and I had a few big arguments about re-homing our aggressive roo that ended with one of us sleeping on the sofa!

I'd been sliced down the nose, and stalked all summer, but it finally took the rooster flying into the my Sweetie's beloved rabbit pen, and attacking his sweet bunnies before he agreed the rooster had to go!:)

Mine are going on 5 months. The one with the girls moves when I walk through. I pet and pick up the hens. I talk to all of them. I do hand feed him treats because he would never get any with the girls--they eat everything way faster then the poor guy. I grab eggs with him there and we have both watched and cheered on one of the girls laying an egg. I walk through the pen like I own it, but I also let him know he is a good boy when he behaves. So far it's all working.
Your boy sounds like my Mr Spot. Just like any animal, I do tell them good boy or girl when they are really good.

People are pretty intense about their chickens! Last summer, my Sweetie and I had a few big arguments about re-homing our aggressive roo that ended with one of us sleeping on the sofa!

I'd been sliced down the nose, and stalked all summer, but it finally took the rooster flying into the my Sweetie's beloved rabbit pen, and attacking his sweet bunnies before he agreed the rooster had to go!:)
If the husband and I ever divorce, there won't be any arguing over who gets the roosters, that's for dang sure.

Can’t we all just get along? But seriously as has been stated before, we all do things differently. What works with one will make it worse in another scenario. I started with chickens three years ago and got lucky with Spot my first roo. I did know enough to know he was unusually sweet. Toughie tries to fight but Has given up since his tactics do not make me leave. I have only a couple hours free during the week to get chores done before work so his resistance is futile. I have a 5mth old boy who is coming along real nice. If he keeps this up he will be a nice addition. Toughie’s four sons are 4 mths old and run like I am planning our dinner menu around them. I do not like them so terrified of me but at least they get out of my way. Some chooks will snack out of my hands others wait til treats are put on ground. The four young boys wait til I am out of the run before venturing to eat or drink in case I snag them with a freezer bag (at least i think that is what they fear). Take our advice or leave it. Up to you. But you will find the way that works best for you, your birds and your sutuation. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom