Preventing flystrike

It looks worse because it is wet

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210421-095924.png
    Screenshot_20210421-095924.png
    670.3 KB · Views: 8
Still acting the same this morning. She lays the largest eggs out of anyone almost daily, so not having an egg yesterday was a bit worrying. We will have to see today if she lays. She was pushing a bit, so we will bathe her in Epsom salt again. How long do you think egg bound would last, and how long would it take to become extremely dangerous for them? We do think its either egg bound, but we will still use the elector PSP for her anyway.

Can you feel an egg in her cloaca? (Be gentle, because you do Not want to break the egg inside her). IF your hen is eggbound, that is a medical emergency, & she will likely die within 48 hours, unless she passes the egg or it is manually removed. If she is fullly eggbound, she wont be able to poop at all. Or at the most, only a small amount of loose watery poop might pass through.

You can lubricate her vent with ky jelly, which may help the egg pass. You can also give her a calcium pill (a tums tablet will work if thats all you have). A calcium pill may help strengthen her contractions to help the egg pass.

Having said the above, i dont feel qualified to diagnose her issue, give further medical advice, or instruct you how to carefully manually remove the egg. IF her problem is egg-binding and not fly-strike as you initially suspected. @aart , @Eggcessive , anybody else who can advise, can you come back and help?

We gave her another bath today. She is pooping and eating. Her poops are not as big as usual, but still fairly large. They are a bit watery, but mainly solid. We still have her isolated in our house, but we will likely bring her outside tomorrow with everyone else. Her one poop had some yellowish water which looked like egg yoke, but it also is closer to the color the electrolytes make the water we have been feeding her. She has been moving around fine, and acting normal. She isn't panting or seeming in pain, and seems to be getting better, but still hasn't layer an egg. She is an almost daily egg layer, so not laying in two days is a bit strange. I will check her cloaca tomorrow

Last edited:
We are going to let her back in the coop today so maybe she can lay in her box. She has her own nesting box and won't lay anywhere else, so we are going to see if that is the problem. If not than we will bathe her again. She is acting almost completely normal, eating, drinking, pooping, and her crop is going down overnight.

She's with everyone since this morning and so far no egg. She didn't even sit in her box. But, other than that she is acting fine. She wants treats now, something she didn't even bother when she was sick a few days ago, and she is moving and running. She is a bit lame still, but she does run around the run a bit. She is eating and drinking fine as well. I will attach pictures of her backside and another picture of her in her run. If something seems off please let me know. She is the Orpington in the far back in the picture.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210423-040053.png
    Screenshot_20210423-040053.png
    980.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20210423-040029.png
    Screenshot_20210423-040029.png
    977.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20210423-040038.png
    Screenshot_20210423-040038.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
She is acting completely normal now, and we are going to let her sleep in the coop tonight. Still no egg though. Is it a good idea to keep her in the coop overnight? Also, how often do you spray the elector psp?

I sprayed elector PSP around her vent and inside the coop every few days.fly's are buzzing like crazy right now, in and out of the coop, so I'm trying to clean where they roost every few days. The ground is just plywood and straw. The one hen is back to normal. She maybe has laid an egg, she has been in boxes and eggs have been in those boxes at night, but who knows if they're hers.

Back
Top Bottom