Preventing Gross Infestations of Any Bug

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
I read a lot of threads on here about lice and mites, and bugs creep me out…used to play with bugs as a kid, but now - heebie jeebies. Same for intestinal parasites (although I never played with those kinds!).

Are there tried and true ways to prevent any sort of bug problem? Like, I read zucchini can act as a natural preventative for intestinal parasites. I’ve read that DE isn’t great and causes respiratory issues, so I’m not going there. What about sweet PEZ or whatever it’s called? Or Saturday’s lime? I also moved all of the bird feeders out when I got them to prevent wild birds sharing nasty stuff. And I check them weekly for any eggs or crawlies and wipe under their roosts.

My girls go on the grass every day so I’m sure there are nasty little bugs…I’d love suggestions on preventative measures!

Are there tried and true ways to prevent any sort of bug problem?
No, not really.

I also moved all of the bird feeders out when I got them to prevent wild birds sharing nasty stuff.
Definitely a good move.

And I check them weekly for any eggs or crawlies and wipe under their roosts.
Absolutely!

Here's how to check them over real well for mites and/or lice.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Back
Top Bottom