Preventing scratching/digging with rocks.

FriendlyFlyer

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
I have a flock of eight chickens and they dig up all the mulch in the backyard. I keep hearing "put up fence, it's your only option!". OK, lets be honest, fencing in all the flower beds around ANY house will look tacky and will make enjoying the plants POINTLESS. Plus, we all know chickens can fly (even if it's just a little)! Unless people put up 10 foot fences, I have a hard time beliveing fences do ANY good preventing digging. I've heard once that using rock instead of mulch will stop the scratching because chickens don't like digging in rocks. Can someone PLEASE confirm this!

I have a couple of gravel borders that the chickens tear up.
Large rocks would probably work.
Chickens live to scratch. Give them free reign and they'll tear everything up.
You can put high barriers to keep the mulch in or have the plants so dense in the beds they can't get in there to dig.

Well, I have pea gravel that was left over from the playground in our backyard. It has been there since I've gotten the chickens and they never dig in it. Do you think they will start to dig if I put pea gravel around the plants or will I absolutely need large rocks? Thank you.

Chickens can and will throw rocks the size of maybe a small fist, fairly far and hard. Had the bruise on my shin a few years ago.
lol.png

I have found a short decorative fence, about 24 inches keeps mine out of the beds, most of the time. They kind of disappear if they are green.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom