Prevention of broodiness???

Depending on the hen, I leave them in for 1.5-3 days. Overnight, yes. If you let them out and they go straight back to the nest... Back to jail.

I watched a video recently where they fit was saying they'll puff up and potentially squawk/growl at you if they're still broody. I'll be watching for this next time.
Thanks good to know. She's in a huge dog crate with water and feed. I did put a board for her to roost on at night . Thanks Murdy.

Thanks good to know. She's in a huge dog crate with water and feed. I did put a board for her to roost on at night . Thanks Murdy.
Hmmmm.... Not sure that you want the board in there. I might be wrong.

I put a little wire dog crate right in between a feeder and a waterer (touching both). I find if the food and water is in there they just destroy it, poop in it, make a big mess.

Rosemary do you leave them in cage day and night? I just put my first girl in jail.

Yes, they stay caged day and night until broken. I only let them out briefly 2x a day to clean inside, and to refresh food and water. After 48 hours if they show a lot less broody signs (less puffy, less broody sounds) you can start letting them out to see if they run back to the nest or not. If they do, back in the cage for at least another 12-24 hours.
I watched a video recently where the guy was saying they'll puff up and potentially squawk/growl at you if they're still broody. I'll be watching for this next time.
As a general rule this works. I have a couple that still do the broody sounds or puff a bit when they're broken enough to let back out with the rest. I think over time you'll get to know your individual bird's quirks, if any, and that'll help you figure out when they're broken enough to be let back out.

Roost is fine, as long as she isn't trying to brood on top of it! That's pretty unusual though, so unlikely to be an issue. If it is, just remove the roost.

Hmmmm.... Not sure that you want the board in there. I might be wrong.

I put a little wire dog crate right in between a feeder and a waterer (touching both). I find if the food and water is in there they just destroy it, poop in it, make a big mess.
Food is hanging and water is hanging in pail with horizontal nipples so that worked out good.

Yes, they stay caged day and night until broken. I only let them out briefly 2x a day to clean inside, and to refresh food and water. After 48 hours if they show a lot less broody signs (less puffy, less broody sounds) you can start letting them out to see if they run back to the nest or not. If they do, back in the cage for at least another 12-24 hours.

As a general rule this works. I have a couple that still do the broody sounds or puff a bit when they're broken enough to let back out with the rest. I think over time you'll get to know your individual bird's quirks, if any, and that'll help you figure out when they're broken enough to be let back out.

Roost is fine, as long as she isn't trying to brood on top of it! That's pretty unusual though, so unlikely to be an issue. If it is, just remove the roost.
Thanks for response Rosemary. I figured it should be constant caging to break the cycle. The roost is just a 1x4 laid in bottom. She's got water and food hanging so I'll let her stew( bad verbage :gig ) for a couple of days. Normally she is very docile and sweet so her broodiness is very different for her.

I remember this post! I just didnt remember who posted it. That's why I picked the dog crate. I left base out and just sat it on the ground. If I need to I could flip over, hubby was afraid of cats getting into cage through big openings.

I flipped it so I could get it up off the ground for that cooling airflow.

Fortunately, I had chunks of metal roofing and concrete blocks handy.

Here's a thought.... Is it a bad idea for me to be lazy and put them in jail in the run? Should they be completely separate from the rest of the flock? In my garage?

Back
Top Bottom