Previously attacked chicken loosing weight. How do I keep her weight up?

Goob chickens

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 2, 2012
California
Hey, I posted a thread a few days ago regarding my golden sex link, Sausage, who was attacked by what I believe to be a raccoon about a week ago. She has wounds but I've been washing them and applying medication to them. I think her wounds will heal although some are deep. She is also a lot perkier since the initial attack, with little sign of shock, she is chirping and drinking.

However feeding her is an issue. She won't eat regular chicken food by herself. I've been making her daily mixtures of boiled egg yolk, honey, oats, coconut oil and dry cat food. She loves it but is STILL LOSING WEIGHT and will only eat if I feed it to her! Her breast bone is very prominent and her crop is always empty. I feed her twice a day and give her electrolyte water. The only think she will happily eat is cooked egg. I scrambled some this morning and added a little cottage cheese and coconut oil for its healing properties.

Any suggestions? Is time a healer in this case? Could she survive on just the meals I feed her? I'm very concerned about her weight. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hey, I posted a thread a few days ago regarding my golden sex link, Sausage, who was attacked by what I believe to be a raccoon about a week ago. She has wounds but I've been washing them and applying medication to them. I think her wounds will heal although some are deep. She is also a lot perkier since the initial attack, with little sign of shock, she is chirping and drinking.

However feeding her is an issue. She won't eat regular chicken food by herself. I've been making her daily mixtures of boiled egg yolk, honey, oats, coconut oil and dry cat food. She loves it but is STILL LOSING WEIGHT and will only eat if I feed it to her! Her breast bone is very prominent and her crop is always empty. I feed her twice a day and give her electrolyte water. The only think she will happily eat is cooked egg. I scrambled some this morning and added a little cottage cheese and coconut oil for its healing properties.

Any suggestions? Is time a healer in this case? Could she survive on just the meals I feed her? I'm very concerned about her weight. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Ive heard that giving them chick feed helps
idunno.gif
. I would probably feed more than twice a day. Maybe try some other things with high protein in them as well. Not sure if its suggested but Ive heard of giving them table scraps as well...like meats....

Poor thing... I dread raccoons. One night during the summer I didn't get out to the coop before nightfall and a couple baby coons were out there. Two were taken, a rooster and a pullet. I found another hen who escaped but barely... her leg was torn off. Sadly there was nothing that could be done for her and she was put down. She was a favorite too. Coons are nasty and very difficult to keep out because they're so cunning. Anyways, I'd try the chick starter that longlegz86 suggested but add some water to it so it looks like oatmeal or hot cereal. She needs all the vitamins she can get or she will continue to lose weight and unfortunately that it difficult to do with anything other than commercial feed. Maybe the wetness will appeal to her more than solids. You could also try adding vitamins to her water. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom