Previously Healthy Chicken Now Can't Stand and Falls Backwards and Doesn't Move

missoulamomma

Hatching
5 Years
May 15, 2014
Hello everyone! I'm new to this, but thought I'd give it a try because my favorite lady who appeared perfectly healthy yesterday now can't stand. She'll take a few steps to get to grass, but her tail feathers always tuck downward then she falls, usually slightly backwards before dropping to the ground on her stomach. She seems a bit wobbly, as well. Sometimes while resting on her stomach, she'll roll over sideways onto her side. That's how I've seen her poop at this point, as well-on her side. I checked her legs for injury and she doesn't seem to have any. She was also x-rayed for an impacted egg and the vet said she didn't have one. She appears perfectly fine other than the inability to stand. No visible sign of injury or infection. She still eats when I hand feed her, since she can't get to the feeder, seems happy and still has her lovely personality. I have no idea what is wrong with her. The vet suggested a lack of calcium, but it seems to me that that would be a gradual decline, rather than going from perfect to unable to stand and walk. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Welcome to BYC. I would do some research on possible Mareks disease as a cause. Tomorrow I can post some links for you.
I looked into Mareks disease. Thank you for the suggestion! I, however, don't feel like it's a real fit for what she is experiencing and exhibiting. Perhaps with time that will become different. Until then, I'm unfortunately still left in the dark on this one. If you, or anyone else, have other ideas or suggestions, I'd love to here them!

How old is the hen? Some diseases are easier to determine with age. The signs you see, since you ruled out egg binding with the x-ray, could be a intestinal. Is the crop emptying. Do you see any respiratory distress. is there any swelling in the legs, feet, or diarrhea?

How old is the hen? Some diseases are easier to determine with age. The signs you see, since you ruled out egg binding with the x-ray, could be a intestinal. Is the crop emptying. Do you see any respiratory distress. is there any swelling in the legs, feet, or diarrhea?
Thanks for jumping in on this Micheal Apple! She is right around 3 1/2 to 4 years old. Her crop seemed fine last time I checked it. I'll check again. I see no respiratory distress and there is no swelling or diarrhea. I have started to consider throwing her on antibiotics as a blind attempt to treat something. I'm not sure what your thoughts are on that route?

Birds can get weak due to an anemic state. Endoparasites such as protozoa/ intestinal worms, and ectoparasites such as mites and lice do that. Pale face, comb, wattles are an indication of anemia. Check through feathers to make sure there are no mites or lice. Take the bird in- house if it is weak. A large dog crate or cage works. Make sure the bird is eating and drinking on it's own. If not, you will have to hand feed. I would start with vitamins-probiotic powder in the bird's water. You may want to worm the bird first, especially if you never have. Valbazen suspension (Albendazole) or Safeguard liquid (Fenbendazole labeled for goats) are both very effective and safe dewormers for chickens. Either are usually found at you local feed store. Dose is .5 cc/ml for a 4-5 lb. bird, and usually done again 10 days later. With a bad infestation it may be necessary to worm 2-3 days in a row. Histomoniasis aka Blackhead is also a protozoan which can infect your birds and is passed by cecal worms. Coccidiosis is also a common protozoa that can plague chickens.

As you can see, there are a number of possibilities. Some of which antibiotics won't do any good. If there are any other details, or questions, post them here.

Thanks again for your thoughts and feedback Michael Apple. Being so new to this site, I'm not sure that I'm replying in the right way to directly reply to a response. I've tried several way sod replying and none of them seem to be a direct reply to people who have commented. Sorry to be stumbling through this. Hopefully this gets back to you.

I see no sign of mites or lice and she isn't pale in anyway. If I bring her inside my home, will I be putting my dog, son and family at risk in any way not knowing what's going on? This is a concern of mine.

Thanks again for your thoughts and feedback Michael Apple. Being so new to this site, I'm not sure that I'm replying in the right way to directly reply to a response. I've tried several way sod replying and none of them seem to be a direct reply to people who have commented. Sorry to be stumbling through this. Hopefully this gets back to you.

I see no sign of mites or lice and she isn't pale in anyway. If I bring her inside my home, will I be putting my dog, son and family at risk in any way not knowing what's going on? This is a concern of mine.

No. Just tell your son to wash his hands before and after tending to the hen if he is old enough and responsible enough. I have two dogs in the house too, and just find a quiet area where they don't have access. I have a grow off pen, that when not in use, makes a good environment for a bird that may need therapy/recuperation. So there's no need to be concerned about anything contagious, just practice proper hygiene.

That's good there is no paleness. Is the hen eating/drinking on it's own?

Does you hen free range? Does she have any unidentifiable marks on her skin? (I know it's tough to look under every feather). Does she EAT her grit? (Crazy question I know but I have grit everywhere and have still lost birds to impacted gizzards). Do you have roosters? And maybe I missed it but what breed of chicken?

PS how is her weight?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom