PRICE OF TURKEYS IN TENNESSEE

nchls school

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
I do not normally sell my grown turkeys. The last person to buy my poults also wants to buy a mature hen. At first I said, "no", but after thinking about it I've decided to keep a young poult/hen in her place. I have no idea what a midget white hen would sell for at a fair price. I'm hoping some of you can give me a price range for this area.

AAAturkey on nest.jpg

Depends on your area, look in local ads on Craigslist, FB and such.
Around here a hen goes for 30 to 40, but midget whites are harder to find
Thank you for your response. I have checked local ads and have not had much luck in locating what I need. Illinois is probably about the same in price. While I was hoping for more than $35 for her this gives me a place to start. Thanks again.

Thank you for your response. I have checked local ads and have not had much luck in locating what I need. Illinois is probably about the same in price. While I was hoping for more than $35 for her this gives me a place to start. Thanks again.
You also could ask on your state thread
@rjohns39 is also in TN and has turkeys

The thing to remember is that if you set too high of a price, you can always lower it later.

This is just plain weird... In Nashville a full grown and processed bird will run about $65-$75

At the Cookeville auction a live adult turkey ready for slaughter will sell for $80. That said people who want to buy a turkey to grow out want to pay $25 for an adult bird or $75 for a trio. I've had several agree to buy my turkeys between $50 & $65 that never showed up. I was contacted by a store in East TN offering $50/bird processed and frozen, unfortunately I didn't have enough quantity to make it worth their while (50 birds take up a LOT of freezer space).

Take a look at PickTN.org and search for turkeys to get an idea on what they sell for if processed and frozen. I figure a live bird is worth close to that minus the cost of processing.

The thing to remember is that if you set too high of a price, you can always lower it later.
A man from Savannah showed up a few weeks ago to buy some poults. He wanted to dicker and was surprised I hadn't figured dickering into my original price. He then spied a serama rooster and wanted to know the price-"Not for sale" and we talked on for a couple minutes and he asked the same question about the same rooster and received the same answer. As we talked about the birds, Savannah kept asking how much? repeatedly until I got disgusted and said, "I have told you enough times, the rooster isn't for sale". He apologized with the remark that everything has a price and that he figured I was just trying to drive up the price. I told him I do not dicker as I have no patience for that kind of waste of time; what I say is what I mean; and to remember that for next time. Savannah has been here since. When he saw the serama roo he asked the same blasted question----just once.

A man from Savannah showed up a few weeks ago to buy some poults. He wanted to dicker and was surprised I hadn't figured dickering into my original price. He then spied a serama rooster and wanted to know the price-"Not for sale" and we talked on for a couple minutes and he asked the same question about the same rooster and received the same answer. As we talked about the birds, Savannah kept asking how much? repeatedly until I got disgusted and said, "I have told you enough times, the rooster isn't for sale". He apologized with the remark that everything has a price and that he figured I was just trying to drive up the price. I told him I do not dicker as I have no patience for that kind of waste of time; what I say is what I mean; and to remember that for next time. Savannah has been here since. When he saw the serama roo he asked the same blasted question----just once.
Some people like to dicker, it's a sport to them. Any more I price $5 more than I want. They think they got some knocked off and I don't have to take losses.

Some people like to dicker, it's a sport to them. Any more I price $5 more than I want. They think they got some knocked off and I don't have to take losses.
I set prices. When someone complains about the price, I tell them how much it would cost to get them somewhere else. I always have gotten my price. The other thing that I do is to set a price. If it doesn't sell within a certain time frame, I raise the price. Once I get the price raised high enough, I get into a different class of buyer. They are the ones that don't question the price at all and won't even check on what is being sold if the price is below their level.

I ask no less than $75 per bird on mature birds. There is a great deal of time and cost in raising poults to adults and rare birds such as Beltsville and Midgets if pure would command such a price. My poults if I sold them would be $20 per poult, no dickering.

Blessings,

Bo

Back
Top Bottom