prices of SQ birds

Megs

Songster
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
just curiouse as to how much you would expect to spend in your area for show quality bantam pair/trios (i suppose its dependant on breed so maybe what is the going rate for sq in a specific breed in your area). chickens arent a huge thing in the part of Canada i live in, so i can expect to pay about $40 for a nice pair of bantam chickens (some of which i have shown/won with, though there are never many of each breed for competition at our shows), from what i have read on this site you pay a lot for sq or bq birds, are certain breeds fetching a lot higher prices?

my favorites are my grey japanese (whom have won/placed at numerous shows, but as i said not much competition here) but there dosent seem to be a huge market for them in my area (have sold 1 pair of 3 i have for sale) which is unfortunate, i wanted to specialize in them (and keep several other kinds to breed as well) but think i will just keep 1-2 pens of them seeing as they arent very populat in my area
sad.png

I just asked the closest really good show breeder of silkies in my state (300 miles away) how much he would charge me for a breeding pair of b/b/s silkies, and he quoted me $50-$100 apiece. But he's got some of the best silkies I've seen (at least I've seen pics of his), and his reputation is 200% excellent.

Good quality birds in bantams, you can expect to fetch at least 40 and up for a cock or couple hens. Some people will charge that for pairs or trios, it all depends on what they want to charge... Price doesn't always mean quality, so i say go with what you think the birds are worth and "be fair". I figured i will probably sell my OEGB's for about 50-75 a pair, still debating that and it will really depend on age, quality, and such whether it is 75 or lower, who knows.. May even go up to 100 on some trios.

-Daniel.

PS. You may want to try eggbid, or ovabid to sell some birds... At least then you'll probably have better luck than local.

Prices for SQ birds are not dependent on location, they are what they are, because most people will ship.

I show my birds regularly, and won the '07 Eastern Dutch National with a bird I bred. I charge $50 per bird, plus shipping. I know some breeders of Dutch who charge $100 per bird, so I feel like my prices are pretty reasonable.

smile.png

I haven't bought show birds- but I have bought juvenile offspring of SQ bantams. I paid between $10-$30, depending on the color. I was able to make the trip to pick up. Don't think I'd want to risk shipping them with the PO after all of my horrible chick & egg experiences.

We get $100 a pair for our young pairs of SLW....it is all about the qualtiy and how hard they are to find.,,,they are also not the easiest to raise.

Back
Top Bottom