Pricing and Shipping of Ducks or Swans

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vfem, Sep 21, 2008.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Well, I've been shopping for ducks... and I see the average prices for ducklings (not the ones I want) are $5-$6 and I've found some locally that are 'older' going for about $20 each to $30 a pair. Not bad for laying age ducks I guess... but I'm afraid they won't have been handled much.

Then I come across these listings all of a sudden.... black cob swans hatched 2006 and 2007 for $300! $450! and found several other ducks at a 1 year old they're asking $90 a duck?!

Plus they are offering to ship them by priority mail? Is that possible at these sizes and ages?!

(I'm not interested in buying any of these... I'm just a bit shocked!)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  2. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    the shipping is done all the time,and those prices are about average that you will see on the net.I just paid $50 for a white mandarin hen at a swap and I was happy to get her for that price..

3. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Oh wow.... they were beautiful don't get me wrong, I've just never looked into these before. Maybe when my hobby expands I might, who knows. [​IMG] I'm an addict already.

I guess you can say I had sticker shock!

I just learned couple months ago you could ship baby chicks and that blew my mind.

I think I'm going to spend more time shopping for the ducks I want. Long as they lay good eggs for my baking and are friendly with my daughter I shouldn't care, but MAN there are so many choices!!!! [​IMG]

4. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    if you want eggs and friendly,you should stick with domestic ducks,wild/ornamental will not lay all year,they usually will lay for one maybe two clutch's a year..runners would be a good choice for you,they are reported to lay up to 300 eggs per year.

5. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    oh wow! I was looking at runners actually, and blue swedish. Thank you so much. I think the runners will win out. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by