Princess Phoenix

feather13

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 4, 2012
southern california
My daughter recently had her senior photos taken and brought two of our pullets to the studio with her. The photographer loves taking photos of kids' pets and even took some of himself with our chickens lol. I couldn't resist this glamorous shot of one of our Phoenixes. They are very lovely birds with long tails.

Attachments

• 268728990-19778-1366.jpeg
    268728990-19778-1366.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Ohhhhh how gorgeous!!!!!!!! My Phoenixes are my babiieessssss!! <3 <3 <3

Curious, friendly, lovable little flyers. They're my profile picture for a reason. I've lost three others to a neighbor's off-leash nuisance of a dog while I wasn't home. Of COURSE she had to get my biggest, longest-tailed rooster. He could have been a contender for 4H showing. You can imagine that I was quite upset that day when I came back to a pile of feathers and paw prints everywhere. He gave himself up to try to protect his girls, but they were hauled off anyway. I'm just grateful that Inuyasha (yes from the anime) herded his ladies up into the trees in time. They were all huddled together about 20' up in a holly tree the rest of that day.

I will be getting more of them in the spring for sure. They are absolute darlings. And yalls' little lady is a beauty!!!

Attachments

• inuyashaSMALLEST.jpg
    inuyashaSMALLEST.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 9
@cajuncluckerswla : Thank you 😊 Your Phoenixes are ADORABLE! I'm so sorry though about your rooster (Phoenix roosters are 😍 ). Was Inuyasha a quiet rooster, like the hens can be?

Stories about feral and neglected dogs make me so angry. We had three beautiful chickens killed several years ago by a husky that escaped its yard and I was angry for a long time. How did you resolve that with your neighbor? I'm guessing from your handle that you're from Louisiana. I don't know what the laws are there, but it's legal for folks in my state to kill dogs that destroy livestock on their property. I haven't done that, so don't know what the details are in terms of proof, etc. But it's infuriating. The wildlife killings don't bother me because it's my fault if I don't predator-proof my coop, but stray cats and dogs are a different matter.

On a more positive note: Phoenixes are absolutely wonderful little birds! Quiet, beautiful, curious, and consistent egg layers. They are also such gentle, aware company. Our other chickens are treat-motivated mini-dinosaurs, but the Phoenixes feel like such sweet souls. We only have two pullets, but I would love to get more in the future. Hope you'll post photos of your new Phoenixes in the future!

@cajuncluckerswla : Thank you 😊 Your Phoenixes are ADORABLE! I'm so sorry though about your rooster (Phoenix roosters are 😍 ). Was Inuyasha a quiet rooster, like the hens can be?

Stories about feral and neglected dogs make me so angry. We had three beautiful chickens killed several years ago by a husky that escaped its yard and I was angry for a long time. How did you resolve that with your neighbor? I'm guessing from your handle that you're from Louisiana. I don't know what the laws are there, but it's legal for folks in my state to kill dogs that destroy livestock on their property. I haven't done that, so don't know what the details are in terms of proof, etc. But it's infuriating. The wildlife killings don't bother me because it's my fault if I don't predator-proof my coop, but stray cats and dogs are a different matter.

On a more positive note: Phoenixes are absolutely wonderful little birds! Quiet, beautiful, curious, and consistent egg layers. They are also such gentle, aware company. Our other chickens are treat-motivated mini-dinosaurs, but the Phoenixes feel like such sweet souls. We only have two pullets, but I would love to get more in the future. Hope you'll post photos of your new Phoenixes in the future!
I will most definitely share my new babies when they come! Gonna do my best to have them all just as spoiled to the shoulder as these 3 are.... lol

The neighbors sent the dog away to another house without me having to say anything, which was much appreciated. I think the bones on their back porch clued them in quick enough. Granted, because she at least ATE what she killed I wouldn't necessarily have dispatched her on the spot had I caught her. My babies free range on several acres so I won't fault a hungry animal for being an animal. It's fair game in the yard. (Coop though? That's Fort Knox and any potential invaders are treated as public enemy number one) It still don't make it any less heartbreaking and devastating though. And you're 100% correct. I'm a Louisiana lady. :)

We are allowed to remove nuisance animals with any force deemed justifiable in my parish. Most of our neighbors are horrible with keeping their dogs contained. They think rural = let them do whatever they want. Our outside dog stays in a kennel unless we let him out under constant supervision. If only the others would do the same.

This is yet another reason I love my phoenix babies so much. Their predator avoidance skills are top notch. The only reason she got those three is because they were in the middle of the pipeline. The prints came from the woods toward the crime scene so I'm of the mind that she cut off their escape route to safety. And she's a cattle dog so she was definitely fast enough to grab them all before they knew what was going on. Inuyasha was always the more flighty out of my two roos. He had a preference to stay very close to the tree line if he had to follow the girls out in the open. It definitely saved their lives that day. Now he fusses them if they go out there without me in their line of sight.... it's really cute to watch. He'll drop that herding wing and moonwalk them back under the bushes. XD

Back
Top Bottom