Privacy screens for run - pros and cons?

pepchickens

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2024
Looking for opinions. In my thinking… a short privacy screen (maybe half the height of the vertical panels) offers a slight advantage for deterring ground predators (out of sight, out of mind). Paired with other defenses, obviously. Haven’t worked out how to dampen their scent, and lord knows this flock won’t be silenced!

However, do chickens like a view? Or, can a view be a tease? If the latter, I see another argument for privacy screens. Watching my flock’s behavior, I actually think the view of my land (which they know they sometimes can access) might inspire some frustration; I catch them pacing the edges (although this might also be pre-laying behavior in hens). 🤷🏼‍♀️

The only view my chickens seem to enjoy is to stare at the living room windows, so they watch us as we watch them. They even have a lovely view of a babbling creek and don't give a darn!

Reality is I don't think they care one way or another, but I also don't think it would do anything to deter predators other than a solid wall maybe being harder to breech than a wire one.

The only view my chickens seem to enjoy is to stare at the living room windows, so they watch us as we watch them. They even have a lovely view of a babbling creek and don't give a darn!

Reality is I don't think they care one way or another, but I also don't think it would do anything to deter predators other than a solid wall maybe being harder to breech than a wire one.
Too funny - mine watch me at the kitchen window! They’re definitely just interested in me coming out with snackies, though.

The pacing is wanting out so you're right that if they can't see the free range area that they'd prefer to get to, it could settle them down. Just yesterday I closed my run door to keep the ladies in while I moved my free range fencing and they were notably annoyed, doing the pacing because they could see me out where they wanted to be. But in my sitch panels would provide to much shade in the run and they really like the sun spots, so just a thing to consider having no idea what your climate is.

A predator can smell your girls no need to see them.
My girls free range in their yard all day happily, but let me get home and let the dogs out and they are at the gate whinning and pacing knowing I'm not far behind with some scratch.

Back
Top Bottom