Privett hatchery? Any good or bad reviews?

I can't find any hatcheries listed for New Mexico besides Privett, and I'm actually wondering is Welp Hatchery's "New Mexico Shipping Point" is actually Privett birds too. I've heard from people that birds ordered from both places come from the same town. I live in Phoenix, so New Mexico is the nearest area I can order turkeys from that I know of. (Unless there's one based in LA or Vegas I can't find) I'm going to talk to my feed store too, but I'd like to order in feb when I'll have time for heritage turkeys to get fat enough for november
smile.png

This is an old thread, but I'll add my two cents. I ordered 29 day old chicks (BO, JG, SS, Dominique) from them a year ago and split the order with a friend. I live in Ohio and Privett was the only hatchery I could find that would ship in November (I know, I know, and I'll never do it again). They came on a cold snowy day and they were great! There was only one pasty one who survived to raise a brood of chicks this summer, and all were girls as ordered except we got SR speckled Sussex (4 out of 7 boys). All 29 survived chick-hood, and all the ones I kept are still alive a year later. Thumbs up for Privett!

I agree. I ordered 40 chicks from Privett. Got them a week ago. They were all in great shape. There was one little one that I was worried about initially but it is doing great still! No complaints here!

I have to admit, to date, Privett Hatchery has always sent me very nice, healthy chicks with really good gentle temperaments as adults.

Can't say the same of other hatcheries I have used before them.

We ordered from them over the past 3 years. Customer service was nice when I changed an order.

Out of 75 pullets, I think we ended up with 4 roos, not bad odds.

We also lost a BLRW at about 2 days.

Close to breed standard? Some were, some weren't. Delawares were aggressive, mean, egg eaters and not Delawares. Most other breeds were ok.

I don't trust feed stores to sell pullets, and I have witnessed staff do some strange things and offer bad advice. I just order direct. If you can't use 25, find others to split your shipment. Or, buy extras that feed stores don't carry and sell them on craigslist.

The reason so many stores on the west coast use them is price and proximity. There are no large breeders with good selection on the west coast. I wish I had the money to start a hatchery here in Washington. Shipping from the other hatcheries is high for us on the west coast.

All that said, we are trying a different hatchery this year, mostly because Privett/Welp won't ship crested and bantams with standards.
D.gif

I got all 12 of my chickens from Privett, all sexed as pullets. Out of all of them, only one turned out to be a roo.
All the breeds were accurate and all of my babies are extremely gentle and docile mannered.
Overall, I'd give them a good review.

Dont order from them.you get roosters instead of pullets.They only cover 90% of roosters so that means pay back for 2 and you are stuck with the others.They are a reap off. I have order from other companys and never had this happen.I order 26 pullets and now i'm counting six roosters.Still counting them as they grow.I wont order from them again.Privett hatchery sucks and reap you off.

I order from them in sept. got 26 pullets.They are all healthly.Been watching them grow up.Now as the days go by i have 5 roosters and still counting them.Now i have seven roosters.I call them they would only pay for two of them. Said they was only 90% accurate.I wont order from them again.They reap people off. I've order from other hatcherys and never had this happen.So beware of them.Privett hatchery is a reap off.

Let me tell you about my experience with Privetts hatchery, our last order from them has been a year ago and well be our last and can't recommend them. We raise chickens for egg sales. All was well with the hens until the hens became of age to start laying. We have lost almost all of the white leggings to egg bound. This should be a rare happening and up until now I've lost 1 to this slow painful death. If it would have been 1 or 2 I wouldn't be so upset but when you working on 3 at a time to try and save your investment and pets its sad. The hens are to small and come from poor breeding. I've raised chickens for years and have never came across such a case of animal cruelty. They send these chicks out to people that just buy a hand full and when they die most people think it's something they did. Just so you all understand the only chickens that are becoming egg bound that comes from Privetts are the leggings. I have over 150 hens and are only losing the leggings. When and if you buy chickens and your going to invest your money, check out private breeders, your going to get better stock, we learned the hard way and have to experience on a daily basis the death of our pets and investment.

Let me tell you about my experience with Privetts hatchery, our last order from them has been a year ago and well be our last and can't recommend them. We raise chickens for egg sales. All was well with the hens until the hens became of age to start laying. We have lost almost all of the white leggings to egg bound. This should be a rare happening and up until now I've lost 1 to this slow painful death. If it would have been 1 or 2 I wouldn't be so upset but when you working on 3 at a time to try and save your investment and pets its sad. The hens are to small and come from poor breeding. I've raised chickens for years and have never came across such a case of animal cruelty. They send these chicks out to people that just buy a hand full and when they die most people think it's something they did. Just so you all understand the only chickens that are becoming egg bound that comes from Privetts are the leggings. I have over 150 hens and are only losing the leggings. When and if you buy chickens and your going to invest your money, check out private breeders, your going to get better stock, we learned the hard way and have to experience on a daily basis the death of our pets and investment.
It is a drag isn't it? Sorry for your troubles. I received some Gold sex links from a different hatchery, and compared to what I've seen in the past, they were small birds. For such a small bird to produce such a large egg is too much for their system. I guess I might as well just face the fact that any large scale operation will put money before morale. I see this behavior rampant in business and never understood that rationale. If dishonest service or inferior product is the end result, how can a business maintain a good reputation? Your experience with that particular hatchery is what I've experienced from others, and then some. I bought birds from a very reputable breeder once and one had MG which has never been around my yard nor any of those symptoms found in my previous birds. So it just goes to show, breeder or hatchery, you could end up with sick/ genetically challenged birds. That said, I ordered California Grey chicks from Privett for the first time through my local feed store. I'll have them in March. I pray they will all be healthy on arrival. The rest is up to me.

Back
Top Bottom