Privett Hatchery

Quote:
Take your time! I'm in no hurry!
smile.png

I really appreciate you doing it!!

I shipped them today, media mail. Please let me know when you get them.
wink.png

I live right down the street from privett hatchery. The are very strict on thier policies, and won't let out siders in, even for a tour. The workers have to go through a sanatation process so they won't come in contaminated and infect the birds with any illnesses. This all happened after the avain flu scare, so I'm told. I can olny get my chicks from the local feed stores in town. I was talking to the owner of the feed store, and I was telling him that i wanted to show birds, and wasn't sure if Privett was a good choice for me. He said that most of the birds at the fair this year were from privetts, and the best in show was a privett hen!

I would Like to try the welsummers, but i want a pretty chicken, that lays DARK eggs. I like speckled eggs, also.

Anyone have experience on the welsummers from privetts?

Let me know.

The ladies in the office are snotty, but I deal with the local feed guy when dealing with privetts.

I plan on going back to the feed store and asking a BUNCH more questions.....anyone have any?

Quote:
About 2 yrs ago I ordered from them also HALF arrived dead the rest in a couple of days, with no response back from them and no refund. Now we have our own stock that has taken a while to get from respectable breeders, We will never order from a hatchery again.
If you have to buy from a big hatchery go to Ideal Poultry Farm www.idealpoultry.com I have bought from there and have always had good luck with them.

I have tried and tried and tried to get a catalog from them and no response at all.
I am only about an hour from them and would LOVE to not have to ship chicks, but if they can't even answer the phone or send me a stupid catalog, then forget it.

ok guys,

I just called the hatchery, and they stopped making catalogs, 2 years ago, and the price lists are only available at the feed stores. When I asked about why they stopped carrying the catalogs, she said she didn't know, she soulnded like she was a worker, not an actually office employee, whith a heavy accent. i have a catalog that the store LOANed me, which i must return today, and they will sell a poster for 8 bucks each.....i will find out more....

They send me a price list every year it don't have pictures only names and prices, you can go to there website to see pictures, once you order from them you will also get the price list every year.

If you want chicks from Privett, try ordering through Welp hatchery. I ordered from Welp last year and they were very polite and helpful. They answered all my newbie questions. I think the chicks were shipped from Privett Hatchery. The box had a zip code that was in the same community as Privett. Maybe that is why they don't print catalogs anymore, they get enough business from Welp that they don't have to do the customer service end of things anymore?

Quote:
We're about three hours away and I have also tried to collect chicks. We're in the middle of nowhere so three hours isn't a long drive. I have not once had an answer to whether they allow collections, i've contacted them by e-mail, left voicemails, nothing. As far as i'm concerned i'll no longer trouble them with my business.

Thanks for the Ideal tip. They're actually who I primarily use for my layer flock (I can't stand to eat good hatching eggs!). I've probably ordered from them 5-6 times, my latest order arrived this morning. One was a little droopy but luckily I managed to revive it holding it in front of the heater vent on the drive home! The rest are bright and healthy (and noisy!). I got everything I ordered plus a few more.

I also like Welp a great deal. They have reasonable minimums and good stock for a hatchery. I would have ordered from them but they don't start shipping until March, and I want my birds laying ASAP. Since the bobcat we're down to 1-2 eggs a day
sad.png
I will probably order some birds from them later on in the season.

I have a McMurray order coming next week. I hadn't ordered from them before because of their minimums, but they are the only place with the breeds I wanted to try out. I usually order a bunch of chicks, grow them out, and sell anything that i'm not happy with.

Back
Top Bottom