Privett Hatchery

Since our favorite local feed store orders from Privett most of our original flock came from there. I had RIR, delawares, speckled sussex, EE, australorp, Jersey giant.

RIR-layed great until the second winter then were pretty much freeloaders. But while they layed we got nice jumbe eggs almost daily from all of them. Their shape was nice (not SQ but nice) and their coloring was initially very dark but looked almost like production reds (very faded) after they molted.

delawares- small, and only small-medium eggs at best, egg production was not great ever...3-4 eggs per week per bird, however these birds were extremely friendly

speckled sussex - nothing to write home about, medium sized eggs 3-5/week, flighty

EE - pretty good sized eggs on a regular (not daily though) basis, but they were TOTAL freeloaders from November until February...not one single egg from any of them

australorp-she lays a nice sized egg most days, fairly friendly, this is her first winter

Jersey giant - nice size for a hatchery (have seen some that you can't even tell is a giant amongst the flock), really friendly bird, but she will be a year old in Feb and has yet to lay an egg...ever.

Also, when I have requested special order breeds that my feed store wouldn't normally carry (they tack my special on to their regular weekly shipment) I usually get them in groups of 6, and EVERY TIME I have gotten at least one roo in a "pullet only" order. One year we ordered some silkies just for the kids and 5 out of 6 were roos...however all banties are known to be straight run only so we just had some bad luck on that one. The silkies were healthy but nothing you would want to even use in 4H or anything, purely yard art. And the roos were extremely aggressive. They would individually take on my huge EE and RIR roos...and seriously bloody both of them on a regular basis if left in the same pen.

All my birds seemed nice but i had issues with the delawares. All but 2 passed away shortly after arrival.

All my bantam breeds did ok but i questioned the jungle fowls. They seemed to grow out to be creole girls & bbr oegbs
th.gif

I gave some turkens to my friend & all but one died.

They never sent my sumatra's & did refund my money.

This all could be chance............

I like murry mcmurry a little better...................

I did not deal with Privett, but bought 5 each Welsummer, Buff Cochin and Blue Andalusian from a local lady who got them from Privett. They are great birds. Beautiful and well feathered, they have just begun laying. The Welsummer have good dark egg color,, though they are a bit small, and the others seem true to type, if, again, a bit small. I am getting together a new Privett order for next years layer flock... Good prices, seem like healthy birds. Farmers can be a bit short on the phone.. got alot to do. Good Luck

I have a mixed flock, I got them from the feed store and they get all their chicks from Privett.
They are all healthy, only two of my Ameraucana's aren't laying yet. They are 29 weeks old.

I bought a rouen duck from Big R. They get their birds from Privett. Of course, it wasn't labeled as a rouen and I wasn't sure if it was a rouen or a mallard since I was a duck n00b. I got the brilliant idea to call Privett and see if they carried both types of duck and to ask which one they shipped to the Big R in Falcon.

The lady on the phone at Privett was rude, unhelpful and a total snot. I finally figured out on my own I had gotten a rouen.

I will NEVER EVER EVER do business with them again.

I have ordered Buff Orps, SLWs, and RIWs from them. The buffs and RIWs were just OK but not great. The SLWs were no good, they still werent laying at around 9 months old so I sold them.

But I was most disgusted with their customer service or lack of i should say, they have some very snotty people working there and dont bother asking for a price list, they wont send one, I asked for one in emails and never got a responce and asked for one on the phone and never got it.

They surely wont be getting anymore business from me and in my opinion they dont deserve your business either.

Welp drop ships from Privett so if you need something that Privett has, I would suggest paying just a little more and get them from Welp.The only reason I ordered from them in the first place was becuse they had Buff Rocks and better prices and and after I ordered them about a month later I got a call saying they were sold out of them and I had to sub in the Buff Orps. Or you can get them from Ideal, Ideal has everything privett has and then some and a much better track record.

Last edited:
Yeah well I found out the hard way if you complain about getting the wrong breed(s) or colors they label you a "problem customer" and ban you and refuse to ever sell to you again. Rude, rude, rude! Customer service? Non-existent.
sickbyc.gif

Our local feedstore orders from Privet, over the years, I have bought a chick here an there, none so far have to turned out to be the breed they were supposed to be. Our most recent is the Australorps (sp?) they are DEFINETELY not pure, feathered feet and all, but they are sweet!

Back
Top Bottom