Privett hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by jarcoo0153, Feb 5, 2011.

1. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    Has anyone ordered Welsummers or Easter Eggers from here? I don't really care what the birds look like, but want to know what the egg color looked like, they show pics on the website, but do the birds and eggs you get look like these?

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    I would find a local breeder so you can see first hand what to expect.

3. jarcoo0153

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    There isn't many chicken breeders near me, and I am just wanting dark egg layers to breed to an EE. So I figured since they will end up being mutts I didn't want to spend big $$$$

4. jenn-E

jenn-E Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have Welsummers from both Privett & Ideal. I think the Ideal ones may be laying darker than the Privett, but I'm not 100% sure. They are all laying eggs that are noticeably darker than my other chickens.

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I don't order directly through them because their customer service is AWFUL so I order from Purely Poultry when I need Privett birds and let them deal with it..no more expensive just way less headache...the EE are very nice for EE and a nice variety of color not all that wild brown look.Real pretty mint green eggs nothing drab or dark from the one's I have kept.

6. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    i dont have any from privett but i live in az and know alot of people who do and thay have won alot of ribbons for size and color of eggs at fairs and such good luck

7. jarcoo0153

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    Thanks for the imput!I think I'll give them a shot!

8. Cha Cha Chicken

Cha Cha Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    I got some ameraucanas from privett (not directly from, but through my local feed store) and was surprised that I got actual ameraucanas!![​IMG] they lay pretty light green eggs. I also got 1 BO, a dominique, an RIR, and a brahma bantam all of which made it, and I'm even going to try showing the brahma!!

9. Smallfarmer76

Smallfarmer76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Custer, WA
    I have seen a lot of different opinions on customer service at Privett, but I just thought I would add my own observations. I ordered and sold more than 8000 chicks through 4 different hatcheries last year in the three feed stores I work with and by far my best experiences were with Privett hatchery. If there were any problems with the order they called right away and didn't leave me wondering why the chicks didn't show up. The quality of the chicks was fine, for hatchery type stock. If you are looking for show quality birds by all means, please find a breeder who shows and wins with their stock. But Privett always treated my right and I am doing 90% of my ordering through them this year.

10. jarcoo0153

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    Thanks for the reply! I 'm not looking for Show birds, I just want dark eggs and EE that lay a darker blue egg so I can breed some Olive eggers! My Marans from Ideal lay a brown egg with a gold tint, and My EE from Ideal are a Very Very pale blue! ( I figured that this would be the case when I ordered.) In the past I have had Naked Necks from Privett, and they were great birds! So I thought that they might have better birds of these breeds too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by