PRO’s and CON’s of feeder/water in coop

Water and feeder in the run for us. So far the run has proven to be protection from predators. The pop door is open 24x7. So when the girls wake, they have access to food and water. Our coop is smallish and could use a bit more ventilation. So for us, in the run makes the most sense.

My feeder/waterer shelter:
1604358362463-png.2396880
That's similar to what I would like to do. I have two pieces of tin about that size I just need the wood and some sunny warm days to make it happen.

Should we start keeping the feeder/water inside? Are there advantages or disadvantages?
Good question. As you can see people do it different ways for their own reasons. Like practically everything to do with chickens there are no right or wrong answers, just different ways we do things.

I do both. I have a large coop and sometimes can be pretty slow to get down there to let them out in the morning. So food and water in the coop for them when they wake up. I practically always have juveniles in the flock so I'm essentially always integrating, having food and water well spread out helps with integrating. I typically have three or four feeding stations and watering stations well spread out, one of each inside and the rest outside.

I don't think I saw "not feeding wild birds" as a reason to not feed in the run. That one is pretty common in these threads. I often find wild birds eating from the feeder in my coop, let alone the run, so that one doesn't affect me.

My main suggestion is to do what is most convenient for you, taking into account these ideas.

Personally I feed in the coop and water outside on nice days. Cold days I water in the morning and put it in the coop for an hour or so before taking it out so it doesn't freeze too much inside.

Just to throw another thought in this discussion, leaving food out in the pen can draw unwanted critters to the food at night, if the pen isn’t totally secure to prevent them from entering. For me, I cover my food container that is in the pen, each night to discourage them. (I have 2”x4” welded wire on the pen, and I would like to add hardware cloth.)

I have feed inside the coop, but remove it every night. Water is out in the run. Last summer I had feed in the run and I'll probably have it inside and outside this summer. I don't leave feed out at night, as I don't want to attract mice and chipmunks.

I may try a horizontal nipple waterer inside the coop again when I don't have to worry about it freezing.

Food and water in the coop for me. As others have mentioned, moisture can be a problem when keeping water in the coop, but great ventilation and a place for the water to drain if spilled solves that problem. Since you are building new I highly recommend building a mesh floor under the waterer if you choose to put it inside (Seen in the photo). Any water that gets spilled falls right through to the run and its an extra bit of ventilation. The main reason to keep food and water in the coop was for shelter and vermin protection. I have since built a fully rat proof run, but if thats not in the cards for you its nice to keep it locked up from them at night. If planned well all the other issues mentioned can be avoided. This coop is 4'x8' with food and water on one side and roosts and three exterior nest boxes on the other. The feeder holds 100lbs and the waterer is 8 gallons. Each have access doors on the backside for easy filling.
image1 (1).JPG

Back
Top Bottom