Probable Marek's Disease

Treated our girl for mites... this may have been the culprit all along
So can she walk now that the mites are gone?

I have a pullet who fits the symptoms of Merek's. I have quarantined her in my kitchen in a crate. She is eating, drinking and pooping but she spends most of the time sitting, often with her legs askew and won't walk. She has no apparent visible injuries and her feathers look good.

I have a pullet who fits the symptoms of Merek's. I have quarantined her in my kitchen in a crate. She is eating, drinking and pooping but she spends most of the time sitting, often with her legs askew and won't walk. She has no apparent visible injuries and her feathers look good. I've been adding vitamins to the water. My question is, after reading the extensive article posted on here about this disease, it's apparent the virus has already been shed where ever she was. If she starts to move around and walk, can be be put back in the coop with the others, or will I have to keep her separate permanently? I really don't want to cull her if I don't have to. Thanks!

Everyone would be exposed already. From experience, I have kept one confined in the house and miraculously she started to walk again. It's rare and I think if they have a good appetite and eat a lot there's a chance. I would not put her back out unless she's walking.

Back
Top Bottom