Probably bumblefoot/ staph infection but no scab...now what?

No, it doesnt go away unfortunately. You can cut back on protein and calcium though.
I have a rooster that has gout from mostly having a high protein diet most of his life. I've cut back on his protein but I dont see any improvement.
Cold temps are rough on him, limps alot. There were a few times I soaked his feet in warm epsom salts water and he would fall asleep lol. Luckily we have short winters.

No, it doesnt go away unfortunately. You can cut back on protein and calcium though.
I have a rooster that has gout from mostly having a high protein diet most of his life. I've cut back on his protein but I dont see any improvement.
Cold temps are rough on him, limps alot. There were a few times I soaked his feet in warm epsom salts water and he would fall asleep lol. Luckily we have short winters.
That's funny that he fell asleep lol. I don't think he can go loose with him limping. I'll try the Epsom Salts and see what that does. He eats Flock Raiser crumbles or All Flock and sometimes corn or scratch. The flock free ranges so I can't do much about what protein he gets on his own when he is running free. I'm about to take him to vet just so I know.....!!

We have a big rooster who had bumblefoot (with scabs) on both feet. We were able to get rid of the bumblefoot non surgically by use of Tricide Neo soaks, Epsom Salts soaks, antibiotic ointment, Veterycin, and Cephalexin. He recovered fairly quickly, within a couple of weeks, and during that time he was in a pen with shavings and some straw. by himself, and was in an outside pen during the day, by himself, on grass. He was fine for a few days then developed swelling on his left foot, underneath the spur. (he was still in his hospital pen) There is no scab, never has been there's nothing. I have tried treating it the same way, but this time, nothing is happening. The swelling is painful and warm. I assume it is a staph infection but am not positive that it isn't an injury, although I don't know how he would have injured himself. Antibiotics do nothing.. I am reluctant to cull him because he is otherwise quite healthy, cheerful, and strong, has a good appetite, and is a sweet tempered, nice rooster. He's only 2 years old. He, however, is getting very sick of foot soaks, which he never liked to begin with, and of being handled, same thing. So it's difficult now to catch him and if I am able to soak his foot once a day I consider myself lucky,. He fights and knows exactly how long five minutes is, so soaking his foot beyond that time doesn't work too well. I have tried saturating a cloth in Tricide Neo solution and soaking his foot that way, which he tolerates better, but I am not sure it has the same effect. What else can I do? I'm considering taking him to a vet, though I dread the cost. Anyone?
Don't give up on him! I recommend you make a paste using Terramin clay and apply, slather it on the affected area. Keep it covered with clay, several application per day, I'm guessing. He will likely pick at it, which is fine, as ingesting the clay will heal him from the inside. I would add the clay to his feed and even make some moistened feed with clay in it, any combination that entices him to eat as much clay as possible. The infection should show improvement quickly, esp. the swelling, redness, and warmth coming from the affected area. Here is the kind I use: https://www.good-earthstore.com/terramin-clay/

Don't give up on him! I recommend you make a paste using Terramin clay and apply, slather it on the affected area. Keep it covered with clay, several application per day, I'm guessing. He will likely pick at it, which is fine, as ingesting the clay will heal him from the inside. I would add the clay to his feed and even make some moistened feed with clay in it, any combination that entices him to eat as much clay as possible. The infection should show improvement quickly, esp. the swelling, redness, and warmth coming from the affected area. Here is the kind I use: https://www.good-earthstore.com/terramin-clay/
I don't see any pricing on it? Thanks for the info, it might be worth a try.

I've been thinking about your roo... How is he doing? Another option would be to use Manuka honey. I use the KFactor16 from Wedderspoon. This honey is readily available through their website, Amazon, EBay. I have used this for many years for many ailments, from infections, tumors, inflammation, cancer. A long list of success stories. It's loaded with enzymes, tackles inflammation, and anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. In the case of your roo, apply twice daily, cleaning with epsom salt solution each time, and covering with a nonstick bandage. Is it possible to put him inside somewhere for a few weeks?

Back
Top Bottom