Probably the dumbest question ever

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by catsew, Jun 29, 2011.

1. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    This is probably the dumbest question ever, but do you need to put their food inside the coop? Or just at night? I was planning on putting it out in the run, since they will not be free ranging. Do I need to bring it in at night, or will they be able to wait until the next morning?
    Obviously in winter I would put it inside if they're locked up.

And what is a poop bar?

2. Lurkeygirl2011

Lurkeygirl2011 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    if they are in a run, i think leaving the food outside just during the day is a fine idea. it will keep mice from taking up residence in your coop. i would just cover the food at night to keep rodents away.

the chickens will be fine, they roost and sleep at night.

3. chickiepie

chickiepie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    I don't put food in the coop. It is my impression that chickens can't see well at night anyway, and when they roost they are there to stay. I am sure come winter I will be putting food in there, but for now, I don't. Also, I think a poop bar is the same thing as a poop board? Which is put under the roost to catch the poop and make it easier to clean up.

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I keep the food inside the coop.

5. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    You do not need to bring food in at night - they wil be fine without it. Just make sure that you are able to open the coop at a reasonable time in the a.m. so that they can get to their waterer.

The poop/droppings board can be your best friend. If you have a smallish coop, the ammonia fumes can build up quickly if droppings are allowed to accumulate in the coop for a few days - even with proper ventalation (p.s this is a must read: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Each
    day you just scrape the accumulated poo off the board, hose off if necessary and put it back in under the roosts. Chickens eliminate most waste during the night.

Good luck!

6. FLGardenguy

FLGardenguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    I keep a hanger inside and pitch food for outside.... a poop board is a savior...especially for the garden...put it in a bucket with water and it makes a perfect side dressing...

7. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    I have food inside and outside since mine free range, but they never eat the food inside, so I don't keep much in there.

I don't use a poop bar...I get those large flat empty boxes from Sam's Club and fill them with dried grass clippins and put them under their roost. About every three days, I just take the boxes and dump the grass and poop into my compost bin...then fill with new clean grass. So easy! And our coop is always clean, no flies and no stinkies![​IMG]

8. catsew

Jun 14, 2011
    Thank you. I thought maybe I was missing something since I keep seeing so much food hanging inside the coops.

Is a poop board better? same? or different than the deep litter method or just cleaning the shavings from the bottom?

9. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I've heard, and read, that keeping food in the coop depends a lot on the size of your coop. If you have a smaller coop and keep the food inside this may encourage chickens to peck around and see what else is edible, like eggs. If you have a larger coop interior I've heard this isn't as much of an issue. None of my girls (two coops) have food or water inside. They have all their goodies in the run. The coop is only for laying and sleeping, though my coop is small. You can always do some trial and error and see what works best for you!

10. catsew

Jun 14, 2011
    Quote:This is almost exactly what I was hoping to do. Like a litter box, only I couldn't think of what to use. This will be perfect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by