1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Probiotics for baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NiNjAChIkEnZzZ, Jan 8, 2017.

1. NiNjAChIkEnZzZ

NiNjAChIkEnZzZ New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    New Braunfels TX
    So I got my first day old flock a couole days ago. Three of six had pasty butt day two. Day three two oit of the three had it again (the two barred rocks). So I gave them probiotics in hopes that it will solve the fluff bigger issue. So far so good. I havt seen alot about that anywhere yet so I was wondering if anyone else has done this and does it work? Or if anyone else has ant preventative solutions to the poultry dingleberry problem?

2. Grub Digger

Grub Digger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    Middle TN
    Pasty butt can happen when the chicks get too cold. If they traveled through the mail they probably got chilled and are maybe getting over it. Make sure you've got a heating pad/plate, heat lamp, or other source of warmth for them and they should be good to go. Probiotics are great for healthy gut bacteria.

3. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    My new batch this summer had a couple pasty butt issues but I immediately did yogurt with probiotic powder in it, and within a day or two it had completely gone away.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Actually pasty butt is more likely to happen when chicks are too hot.
    It can take a couple few days to clear up, just keep cleaning it off.
    A tiny bit of veg oil around the vent can help keep it from sticking to down.

What are you feeding them?

5. AlmostGood

AlmostGood New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    We just got our first baby chicks today, there about 3-4 days old. Should we give them probiotics now, or wait a few weeks and then start the 3 days on, 2 weeks off cycle.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Too much heat, not enough heat. Shipping stress, perhaps an immature digestive system. Be sure to check your chicks frequently, and if you see any poo build up, clean it. If you allow it to build up, it can block the vent, and kill the chicks. Broody raised chicks never have PB (that I know of). Mama hen takes those babies out into the yard and gives them plenty of beneficial bacteria and fungi to build up a healthy gut flora. Her chicks eat soil, as well as snacking on chicken poo. They are running around at what ever the ambient temperature, but duck back under her to warm themselves before they get too chilled.

Brooder raised chicks benefit from having an environment that comes as close as possible to matching the broody experience: Heating pad brooding: Give them a heating pad cave to snuggle under. A nice safe warm spot. The rest of the brooder can be at what ever the ambient temps are. (I prefer to brood later in the spring so the chicks aren't facing winter weather.) Give the chicks a plug of sod from your yard, or even from the chicken run so they can load their guts with beneficial bacteria and fungi. They will also get some grit (also helpful at preventing PB, IMO.) as well as some minerals, first greens, some seeds and insects, a few worms to fight over, first dust bath, and lots of opportunity for developing their foraging skills.

I can see no benefit of waiting till they are older to start those probiotics. If I bought them, I'd be using them in the first week. The sooner those chicks get their gut flora built up, the sooner they will have a healthy and strong immune system. I used probiotics with my first flock. But, since being mentored by BeeKissed, and doing a lot of my own research, I have moved towards a more natural method. My whole flock gets fermented feed, and the chicks get a plug of sod soon after hatching. The chick has natural immunity received from her mother. This is strongest within the first 2 weeks and then starts to wane. So, it's important to use this window of opportunity to load that gut with beneficial organisms. That soil will also give the chicks their first exposure to cocci and other pathogens they will encounter in your yard. (Don't panic!) Cocci are a natural flora, found in every chicken gut. It's only when the bad guys outnumber the good guys that the chicken gets sick.

1 person likes this.
  7. jstanard

jstanard Just Hatched

Aug 8, 2016
    I also use fermented food for my whole flock, including chicks. I add probiotics and electrolytes daily to water, change out bedding daily, and watch the actions of the chicks.

8. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop

Now. Start them right now on okios triple zero value illa yogurt. It is very pure. It is essential they get their gut flora correct ratios as soon as possible. It is harder for harmful bacteria to take hold in a gut with proper bacteria ratios. Karen from my droid, my computer is down. Thanks again

9. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Vanilla yogurt. Don,t leave the yogurt in the brooder longer than 10 minutes so it doesn't,t go south under the heat lights. It will probably be gone by then anyway, hee, hee. Karen

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by