Probiotics?

bjerro

Chirping
Mar 1, 2018
Portland, OR
Hi! I am getting my first set of chicks on Saturday and was wondering if you all recommend putting probiotics in their water from the very beginning. Let a girl know! Thanks!

I ordered probiotics from the PBS vet supply store (mostly because they have a catalog) but I've never used them, on the principle that if the chicks are already healthy, why bother? Sav-a-chick is the usual probiotics supplement, and it's at my TSC. Possibly also the local Rural King, but their 'vet aisle' sucks, so I've never looked.

Electrolytes you can make at home. Those I use--but again, never unless someone's having trouble. Recipe is 1 tsp baking soda, 2 tbsp corn syrup, 1 pinch salt, and a quart of water. I use two quarts of water for large animals.

Far better than the Sav-A-Chick products IMO is Poultry Nutri-Drench. All my chicks get PND for the first 2 weeks, initially they get it daily, and then every 2 - 3 days during the second week, then 1 - 2 x/week for the next 2 weeks. Save your money. Don't buy the electrolyte mix. If you do a google search, you can find plenty of recipes for home made electrolytes or pedialyte: Basic recipe: 1 qt water, 2 Tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda. You really don't need the electrolytes unless you have chicks who are not doing well at all. Best to give them just sugar water and PND initially. I save the electrolytes for those hot summer days when the flock is getting adjusted to summer weather.

As for probiotics, they do have a place. But, since I've been giving my flock fermented feed, I do not bother with the probiotics. My chicks get PND, and a plug of sod from my yard. The soil inoculates their guts with beneficial bacteria and fungi, as well as giving them plenty of minerals, first grit, insects and seeds, a few worms, first greens, first dust bath, practice at digging for their grub, and infinite play value. They also get exposed to cocci and other pathogens in the soil during the crucial 2 week window when they have the strongest immunity inherited from their mothers. Yes, it is important for chicks to be exposed to your yard pathogens!!! Best to do it in small doses while they are in the brooder instead of waiting until they are weaned from the brooder and suddenly tossed into the yard without previous exposure.

Last edited:
Far better than the Sav-A-Chick products IMO is Poultry Nutri-Drench. All my chicks get PND for the first 2 weeks, initially they get it daily, and then every 2 - 3 days during the second week, then 1 - 2 x/week for the next 2 weeks. Save your money. Don't buy the electrolyte mix. If you do a google search, you can find plenty of recipes for home made electrolytes or pedialyte: gg

So probiotic day one? When do you use electrolytes?

Agreed. Ive only ever used save a chick- living_legend sent you a link. Most TSC's have them readily available. But I use that probiotic and electrolyte supplement for my babies the first two (or so) weeks I have them. Sometimes they can get sick or malnourished during travel (if they are getting shipped to you in the mail) its how most people get chickies now days- online. So its nice to be able to give them that boost after a venture like that. I have a breeder who ive been working with, and I still use those supplements, just to ensure they get a healthy start :) some use, some don't. So its up to you.

Good Luck!!
~M

Back
Top Bottom