probiotics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tuner06, Jan 6, 2015.

1. tuner06

tuner06 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    Jarrettsville MD
    not sure if I got this n the right spot.
    here is my question my chicken has come down with cocci been giving her corid for the past 5 day she doing really well. also been giving corid to the rest of my flock also. (for a prevent) I've read on here about having to give probiotics after the corid for 5 days. if my feed already has pre and probiotics in it should I still put the probiotics in there water. I use the Purina Layena Premium feed and it states that it has those In there on the bag.

thanks
    Rob

p.s.
    I love this web site I can always find something I need to know.
    Thanks again

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    First, Coccidiosis is caused by the Cocci bugs numbers getting out of hand. A few Coccidiosis bugs are not a problem, the chickens will just develop an immunity and go on with life, but when the numbers get out of hand it becomes life threatening. You did well to treat them all.

You can read about anything on the internet. Some is true and valuable. Some.

The medicine in Corid is Amprolium. Amprolium is not an antibiotic. It does not wipe out all the flora and fauna living in their intestinal tract like an antibiotic would. It is a thiamine blocker that targets the Coccidiosis bug to interfere with the ability of the Coccidiosis bug to reproduce. It’s the same medicine in medicated feed. The Amprolium dosage in medicated feed is fairly low as a preventative. Corid has a much higher dose as a treatment. It is still not an antibiotic.

It is possible that some of the flora and fauna living in their digestive system we call probiotics can be harmed by the dosage in Corid. It depends on how they reproduce. Most are going to reproduce by dividing instead of laying eggs like the Coccidiosis bug so most should not be affected.

The probiotics they have in their system is passed around by them eating each other’s poop. So any probiotics that were in their system before you started treating them should still be in the dirt in the run if not still in their systems. If they lost any due to the treatment they should get them back just by pecking at the dirt in the run.

You can feed them any probiotics you wish. It won’t hurt them. But in my opinion, it is totally unnecessary once a colony of probiotics is established. If you had treated with an antibiotic I would feel differently. That’s just my opinion. Other people will want you to do all kinds of things. You can do those things if you wish. It won’t hurt your chickens.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by