Problem chick

Thank you, her vent looks a little less swollen now that we’ve kept up the cleaning. We just got the ointment on her. Is it possible that her zoning out is actually her being tired. She doesn’t lay down and rest with her brothers and sisters, we think it’s because her backside is so irritated
Poor girl. Watch really close for pecking, birds go for any blood and you won't find her until its too late. Maybe separate her until it heals up and use puppy pads or soft towels for bedding. Give some electrolytes or nutridrench in her water too.

Is it possible that her zoning out is actually her being tired.
If she's constipated then she is probably not eating and drinking well, which will make her weak. The nutri drench may help give her a boost, and may help with appetite. If everything starts moving better then she will start eating and drinking better. Chicks can paste up due to being to warm or too cold, but it's also possible that she may have an internal issue that is affecting her digestion, when they are so small it is often very hard to know what exactly is going on with them. Monitor her droppings, see what they look like after the coconut oil, you can repeat the coconut oil tomorrow if needed. You may also need to encourage her to drink. You can dip her beak in the water, or I will hold them in my hand with the beak resting in the crease of my bent finger and drop water down the crease to the tip of the beak, they will usually swallow it.

How is your chick today?
Her bum looks a little better but we are really worried that she is simply not sleeping. She seems unresponsive most of the time now just rocking back and forth until she realizes she’s been left. She drank a little and ate a peck but we think because of the prolapsed vent she can’t lay down. Is there anyway to get her to sleep a little. It also seems one of her eye maybe swollen, it’s not wet around the area just very dry. Does anyone have any advice?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 7
I'm very sorry, it sounds like she's failing. I would try to give her fluids every 20 minutes, as much as you are able to get her to take. If you have electrolites then alternate electrolite water with plain fresh water. If she's dehydrated then that will take down her quickly. Use the method I gave you before, dripping it down the crease of your finger to the tip of the beak. It may take some time, but hopefully getting her warm and hydrated will help. I often carry chicks like this in a neckerchief around my neck held against my upper chest, kind of a little hammock, between giving them fluids. They can feel you and hear you and sometimes it gives them a will to live. I talk to them and hum, as I go about my day. That is what I would do now, see if the fluids help, that i more important than feed for now. Were you able to get any nutri drench in her?

That is what I would do now, see if the fluids help, that i more important than feed for now. Were you able to get any nutri drench in her?
No, no nutri drench but if she lives through the day I’ll try to get my hands on some

Tractor Supply usually carries it, and other feed stores. The fluids/electrolites would be my main focus. You can also mix some raw egg yolk in water and give that for a bit of nutrition, but fluids come first.

Update she died about 10 minutes ago in my hands it was really rough almost looked like she had a seizure

I'm very sorry. :hugs
It's very hard to know what happened, some of them just aren't meant to be.
You tried, and that is all you can do.

Back
Top Bottom