Problem chick

Tinkertori

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2020
I have a 7-8 day old chicken that seems to be smaller than the rest of the bunch. She is very uncoordinated and seems to zone out and stand still for up to 2 minutes often not aware of her surrounding and roams from the group and her mother. She has pasty butt that we are cleaning but it looks like she may be prolapsing as well. The vent is sticking out and looks red and irritated. She eats and drinks just fine when offered food unless she zones out. Our neighbor chickens have migrated to our yard because they liked our goats food. We were not expecting baby chicks and do not have resources like a secluded brooder set up

This may just be a weak chick and there may be other issues that are not obvious. I would gently clean the vent and apply some vaseline or plain neosporin to keep it moist. Take some coconut oil and freeze or refrigerate until firm, break into tiny pieces and feed it to the chick, if it's constipated that will often help get things moving again. 1/2 to 1 tsp if you can get it to take that much. A bit of poultry nutri drench might be helpful also, to give it a boost.

I would not worry about the dirt sticking to the ointment. The ointment will keep it moist and help keep droppings from sticking and drying on there. I would reapply as needed. If it is a prolapse, then it has to be kept moist or the tissue could become necrotic. The dirt is unlikely to do any harm. I would also keep a close eye to make sure it does not get pecked. Pink/red tissue will often attract pecking, and chicks will peck anything. If the vent becomes pecked and the tissue torn, then the problems will just be multiplied.

This may just be a weak chick and there may be other issues that are not obvious. I would gently clean the vent and apply some vaseline or plain neosporin to keep it moist. Take some coconut oil and freeze or refrigerate until firm, break into tiny pieces and feed it to the chick, if it's constipated that will often help get things moving again. 1/2 to 1 tsp if you can get it to take that much. A bit of poultry nutri drench might be helpful also, to give it a boost.
This is good advice

I would not worry about the dirt sticking to the ointment. The ointment will keep it moist and help keep droppings from sticking and drying on there. I would reapply as needed. If it is a prolapse, then it has to be kept moist or the tissue could become necrotic. The dirt is unlikely to do any harm. I would also keep a close eye to make sure it does not get pecked. Pink/red tissue will often attract pecking, and chicks will peck anything. If the vent becomes pecked and the tissue torn, then the problems will just be multiplied.
Thank you, her vent looks a little less swollen now that we’ve kept up the cleaning. We just got the ointment on her. Is it possible that her zoning out is actually her being tired. She doesn’t lay down and rest with her brothers and sisters, we think it’s because her backside is so irritated

I'm very sorry, it sounds like she's failing. I would try to give her fluids every 20 minutes, as much as you are able to get her to take. If you have electrolites then alternate electrolite water with plain fresh water. If she's dehydrated then that will take down her quickly. Use the method I gave you before, dripping it down the crease of your finger to the tip of the beak. It may take some time, but hopefully getting her warm and hydrated will help. I often carry chicks like this in a neckerchief around my neck held against my upper chest, kind of a little hammock, between giving them fluids. They can feel you and hear you and sometimes it gives them a will to live. I talk to them and hum, as I go about my day. That is what I would do now, see if the fluids help, that i more important than feed for now. Were you able to get any nutri drench in her?

Can you pos pictures of her bum? Doe she eat drink good? What bedding are you using?
She eats and drinks well and she free roams with her mother during the day at night they sleep on pine bedding

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom